Reality Check

I opened my eyes slowly...

"What?" I said rolling over.

He sighed."I said its time to get up, its monday. You have school, remember?"

I gasped and sat up fast. "Ouch!" I cried out and went to see if there was a bump. My head had hit off of the metal upper bunk above me.

"Jenna, you should try to be more careful."

I gave a laugh. "Its not going to make difference if you keep waking me up this."

He smiled at me. "I guess your right," he looked at his watch."Alright, I'd better be on my way. See you later!"

"Bye Dad!"

I heard the front door slam and I crawled out of bed. My eyes were slowly starting to adjust to the light. Walking over, I grabbed my rainbow colored robe and started down the hallway.

"Its the same thing everyday...."

As I entered the kitchen I grabbed milk from the fridge, cereal from the counter, a bowl from the cabinet, and a clean spoon from the sink.

I sighed and closed my eyes imagining that I wasn't here, sitting at the dinner table eating honey-nut cheerios. Wishing and hoping that maybe it will happen, but my heart sunk when I opened my eyes, I was still there. Still sitting. Still wishing. Outside a thin blanket of snow covered the ground, but as the chilly wind blew across the snow, some of it floated off the ground and on to the window.

I twirled my spoon in my bowl watching the little o's move in a circle. Then I glanced at the window. One word was in my thoughts.

Purpose.

I felt my eyes start to tear up. 'No, not again!' I thought to myself as I tried blinking back the tears. My watery eyes wandered and I saw the calendar. Slowly I stood up. I grabbed my bowl and spoon and put it in the sink. Then I walked over to the calendar and looked at the date.

May 10th

I frowned and looked away knowing exactly how I looked. A girl with dark brown hair and yellowish green eyes had looked away in fear and sorrow. With a pained look on her face as she wills herself not to cry.

Today I'm 13 tomorrow I will be 14.

I pushed back my tears and glanced up at the clock hanging above the oven.

7:02 AM

I felt my head start to hurt. Taking a deep breath I walked back upstairs to my room. The metal felt cold and smooth as I climbed up the ladder to the upper bunk. Quietly, I whispered to my little sister that it was time to get up. She groaned in reply,"five more minutes....."

I rolled my eyes and climbed down. Then I went across the hallway to my little brothers room. I opened the door and was greeted by dirty clothes, action figures everywhere on the floor, and the smell of some type of messed up Axe spray. I almost gagged. My brother was half off the bed his mouth hanging open, snoring, and with his iPad sitting next to him.

I shut the door and walked into the bathroom trying to forget what I just saw.

"Jenna, whats up?"

I jumped and spun around. My sister was standing there in her hello kitty pjs brushing her hair with a innocent look on her face.

I pointed down the hall,"You know you're not aloud in there.."

She rolled eyes." Oh Reallyyyyy."

I sighed knowing that arguing was pointless and shook my head. ''Fine. You can take his ipad, but let him sleep.''

Going back into the bathroom I glanced at the mirror.

Lovely I look like pale tired dull girl.

I grimaced, that's what I say everyday.

Oh well, what can you do about it.

***

Time sped by as my siblings woke up and got ready for school. Soon I found myself at the end of the street where the bus-stop was.

I sat on the curb of the road and got my book out from my backpack.

Maximum Ride. The tips of my fingers grazed against the hard cover, tracing the letters. I had already read the book series, yet the ending didn't sound quite right. It sounded extreme, heartbreaking, and questionable. It sounded wrong like a cover-up ending for what really happened. But nevertheless no matter what I think the story is finished.

For some reason I felt a surge of pain in my heart.

Done. Finished. Over. Dead.

I on impulse I flipped to the back of the book to ensure that nothing has changed. After studying to see if there was a change, I came up with nothing. It was the same just like every other time.

It is just so painful and sad when you finish a book series. Knowing that it's the end of it. But all things end. It's worse when the last sentence is read, because there is no more. It's lived its life and now it died.

I was ripped away from my thoughts a few minutes later by the distant sound of my bus rumbling towards me.

As I packed up my book and stood up I breathed in the cool crisp air and stared at the snow noticing the bright shade of white as it shines, clean and untouched.

Too bad it won't stay like that.