1. The Illegitimate Birthday Cake

-SHIN HYE-
(name of the character stands for their point of view)

"You've been coming early these days," Mrs. Lee said as I took my coat off and closed the door. It was a freezing morning in Seoul. The windows were icing up a bit and the heat of my breath was clearly visible when I sighed. Although I was indoors now, I still shivered. 

I woke up earlier than usual today and rushed to work -- I wanted to avoid my classmates, who would be waiting for me by the bus stop. They were about to go on our school trip. Given how expensive the trip was, there could have been no way that I could have even imagined going there in my dreams. I did not say this out loud, though. I mean, I could not have -- Mrs. Lee would have made sure I went and would have paid for it all. I cannot owe her more than I already do. Despite being my boss, she would casually let me take an off from the bakery to go on this trip.

"Shin Hye, you wouldn't believe me when I say this! We've been asked to bake for a big event!'' she said, cheerfully, breaking my chain of thought.  

"Really?'' I asked, tying my hair up and securing my apron. 

"Yes! I always tell you! You're my good-luck charm," she said, patting my back. 

"Oh come on, ma'am, it's nothing like that. Anyway, tell me! What offer?'' I asked while washing my hands and blushing a bit. Mrs. Lee, somehow, always made me feel good about myself. 

"A person stopped by from the Jeguk group. It's the second son, you remember the one who keeps popping up on the news these days?'' She asked. 

"Uh, who?" I couldn't seem to remember. 

"Ya! The one who came back from America! Kim Tan!" she said. 

"Ah, yeah, him. What about him?" I asked. 

"It's his birthday and we have to bake his cake!'' Mrs. Lee almost squealed. 

''You are kidding, right?'' I asked. 

"No, not at all -- this is probably the biggest project we're securing this year. I don't know how I entirely feel about this, though, " she said with a very determined look. 

There was more to this event than just baking a grand cake for one of the richest and most prestigious families in our city. Mrs. Lee has baked for several big projects as such. She sure did not hold any special place for Jeguk group in her heart --- she hated these big companies and their existence. Like my friend, Cha Eun Sang. Well, Eun Sang really hates Jeguk in particular but that's another story. A few weeks ago her latest social media update was something around the lines of "I hope the Jeguk group goes bankrupt," or something of the sort. But, then again, she has her reasons. 

Mrs. Lee gazed outside the icy windows and smiled with a spaced-out look. What was she thinking about? Was she looking forward to something? Imagining something? 

Then it came to me.

Her son. 

Her other son, the one she had when she was Mrs. Choi and not Mrs. Lee. She often talked to me about him and both of us usually ended up crying. She always told me that her son was the only good part of her past. I couldn't believe that he did not come to my mind right away when Kim Tan was mentioned. The both of them, from what Mrs. Lee told me, are best friends.

"Mrs. Lee...?'' I called out unwillingly, wondering if she was on the same page as me.

''Yes, Shin Hye, I'm thinking of the same thing. I guess I'd finally get to catch more than a glimpse of him, after all this time.'' Mrs. Lee said, her containing her enthusiasm. It was not a secret that she missed her son a lot. She did, sadly, fear that he would refuse to recognize her or accept her ever again. I, however, refuse to believe that. All of us, in some way or the other, find a way back to our mothers. It is not always an easy or pleasant road, though -- but I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt. Even a wonderful person like Mrs. Lee has had a horrid past. Nevertheless, she's very happy with her current husband, Mr. Lee, and her stepson. I have been with them for a long while and they have been very good to me. Their son, Lee Jun, is also my best friend.