"Last night, between 10-25 killings were confirmed by the CCG. It's believed a ghoul going by the name of 'Slayer' is behind all of this," the news reporter states. (y/n) turns her attention to the screen.

"Here, we have the lead investigator on the case, Sato Amida, to give us some insight."

The camera cuts off to a man wearing a long grey jacket, his eyes heavily focused on the camera. His yellow eyes bore holes into (y/n)'s head and she can't help but feel uneasy at his appearance.

"I'm not going to give you too much information, but as everyone knows, a ghoul can live off a person for a month before they go hunting again. Well," he starts, pulling out a picture from inside his jacket, "Slayer isn't hunting. He's purposely killing young women, who range from high-school seniors to college freshmen, and leaves their dead bodies out for the public to see."

The picture in his hand is one of the said Slayer. The ghoul wears an intricate mask, hand woven from black leather. Gold stitches are made to make a symbol of tears falling from the eyes. He wears black pants and a mesh top, exposing the hard-defined muscles he has.

"I was able to capture this after weeks of trailing after him. Slayer leaves a mess, but he's able to clean up his tracks very easily. He kills for fun, rather than to satisfy his hunger. He's proven to be a murderer and is showing us he isn't afraid."

"That is quite gruesome, and scary, if I may add. Is there anything you'd like to say to the public in regards to this case?"

"Don't stay out too late. The moment it starts getting dark outside, go back home and don't leave under any circumstance. Slayer is a wild card. No telling what he's up to next. As in ghouls in general, if you suspect someone is, report them and let us handle it. Ghouls are the devils of the world and we are here to—"

The TV screen turns dark.

The girl from the counter is holding the remote in her hand, sighing to herself and places it back to it's original place. (y/n)'s foot taps against her chair, brows furrowing. She hasn't heard of this ghoul. Then again, she doesn't focus too much on the news.

Life has been a bit of a struggle after getting a place of her own, along with hunting for a job. Her foster parents have been kind enough to pay for her apartment for the first half of the year, until she's able to find a job. (y/n) rubs her forehead, feeling a headache coming on. I need to destress. But how?

"Here you go, miss," the guy with the eye patch says, placing her latte in front of her. "If you want anything else, just wave me down. Enjoy." Before he's able to walk off, (y/n) clings onto his arm.

"W-Wait!" she says a bit too loudly. Her face flushes in embarrassment and she quickly lets go of his arm. "Um, I just wanted to ask...what's your name?"

He's alarmed, but relaxes when she asked for his name. "My name is Kaneki Ken. What's yours?"

"(l/n) (y/n). Sorry if I scared you, I was just curious."

"It's okay. Anyways, enjoy your latte."

(y/n) internally screams as she watches him walk away. Why would she do that? She takes a sip of her latte without letting it cool down and chokes on her tongue.

After a while, (y/n) leaves Anteiku. She heads to the nearest grocery store, grabbing a few things. As she pushes her cart around, she spots a couple of CCG investigators. They're conversing with a young mother, who's holding her baby close to her chest. She quickly walks away from them, heading towards check out.

She pays for her food and leaves the store. She checks the time and decides to go back home. The masked ghoul with golden tears flashes in her mind and she trembles.