They seem to all be listening.

"Now, I know I sound like a preacher, huh?"

Some nods, and laughs.

I finally understand what I'm trying to say, and I take a long breath from my cigarette.

"Well, look. I mean it. And- hey. This- this war? It's gonna knock you, it's going to try and kill you, mentally and physically. But, you've got to ask yourself, 'What am I willing to do to make this world better' and, 'if i don't do it who will'. The answer? Well, let's just say, I don't care how tough, or how powerful you are, and as someone with experience, it's.. not about how much damage you can physically take before you keel over, it's about how much damage you're willing to take before you achieve your goal. If you don't do it... no one else is either, you have to be a leader, stop being led by tyrannical gods, even those within your own mind, shut off your common sense, because, hey. You're following me, your brain, 9 times out of 10 is going to try and sucker-punch you into stop following me but you've gotta have a bit of trust. Also, stop letting the world, the dark place that it is, knock you to the ground! You have to go kicking, and screaming, and run forward like that's what you were born to do. You're going to trip, you're going to fall, there's going to be blood and dirt clouding your vision, but you've got to tell yourself something. 'it's not about... whether or not you can pick yourself back up... it's... whether or not you will.'  And, I know for a fact, every single one of you is able to. I know, because I've seen you do it. I've seen the world kick you down, and I've seen you fall, but I've also seen you pick yourself back up and keep fighting!"

I take a breath, and I stand tall, I think my eye is on fire, I feel energy sparking at my finger-tips.

"You have to scream, you have to yell. You have to hear what you need to hear, whether or not it's true, if you believe it, if it keeps you going, well, keep telling yourself that. It doesn't matter. We fall, not because we're weak, we fall... because we need to remind ourselves that we're not invincible, we're not perfect. We were given the worst circumstances, and we're still fighting! That counts for something, even if it's just to say, you've made it this far. Now what does that say, other than, the more the world beats us down, the more pain we're feeling, the more we believe we deserve to win. We've sacrificed so much, we've got to win, we deserve it! And, I don't know, maybe I'm just yelling an' screamin' and it ain't connectin' with ya, but I don't care. I've been broken, and beaten, I've been knocked down onto my heels, thrown to my knees, slammed to the ground, and I'm here now, standing before a hoard of insane people who believe whatever I'm saying. And you know, I think that might mean I'm doin' something right. So maybe, maybe- I do know, maybe- I've been tormented enough that I know what to say, because I've had to put together these thoughts to keep myself up, to stop letting the waves of my pain crash down, and break me, and throw me. The humans, the monsters, why do they fight? 'Cause they don't like each other? They've got equal amounts of land, they're evenly-matched.  Neither holds the other against their will... who's keeping this going? Rich monarchs clinging to their thrones, who've never seen the horrors of this war, who haven't broken down, and lost a loved one, they don't know. They've not felt our pain."

They nod, and they yell in agreement.

"Why do we fight? Huh? That's a damn good question. We fight to climb our way out of the rubble, we fight because if we didn't we'd be a disgrace, we'd be lying to ourselves, and lying to what we know needs to be done. A coward... isn't someone who's scared. I'm scared, I don't think you'd call me a coward, would ya?"

They shake their heads.

"No, 'course not. I hope. A coward, is someone who knows what needs to be done, but doesn't do it. A coward, is someone who can but won't. You're scared, that's what makes it worth it. Fear is just a side-effect of bravery. And bravery is just a word. Bravery, isn't the same for everyone. So what are we, really, but those who do what needs to be done when no one else will. I'm going to tell ya something you already know. We're going to win. We're going to end this war, and we're going to heal, once it's done, because, what is pain but a reminder that you're still alive? All this suffering? It's just temporary. Pain.. is just hope in a different light, Suffering? it's just peace at a different angle. There's no difference, between us, and the humans, and the monsters. Not at first-glance. Except, the difference is what scares us. When things get dark, the humans, the monsters, are afraid. We... we are afraid when things get light. We are weary of loving, because of what we've lost, and that makes us strong. Because, when we do love, we are stronger. We know that it could be ripped away, and it makes us fearful, it makes us weary, but it makes us strong. The scars on our hearts, on our souls, are what keeps us determined, we deserve what we've suffered for. And-ah, if the humans or the monsters try to take away what we deserve.. we'll... Knock 'em down."

They cheer.

I smile, lightly. 

I wish she was here. 

I frown, as I see Undyne and Papyrus hovering in the edges of the camp. I head toward them.

I hear a piece of their conversation.

"Undyne, I respect you, I do.. but that seems... risky. My brother.. he doesn't... If he finds out what you did... I don't know that he won't hesitate to...to..."

"To what Papyrus?"

"Kill you." He says it so softly.

"We've got the girl. It's leverage. He won't hurt us."

"I- just- this feels wrong. We should fight fairly."

"All's fair in war, Papy."

I move from the side of the building, and come into their view. I can feel my eye's on fire.

"S-SANS!"

"...Why would you do this, Undyne? We don't need to hurt anyone... do we?"

She growls.

"You left us no choice."

"Tell me why I shouldn't kill you. Give me one good reason."

"We've got the girl."

"So I've heard."

"We'll kill her."

"She's your leverage. I don't think, Undyne, that you're more valuable than I am, in Asgore's eyes, not any more. You're just a captain. You're not... you don't lead the biggest threat to him. What's one fish-warrior to a Skele-king, Undyne? Look, you're probably a pretty good captain, but... it's not like you're irreplaceable. Where-as, the memories, the knowledge in this... skull of mine, are secrets I don't tell anyone. And plus, if you kill her, I'll die too."

"You wouldn't kill yourself for a human." Undyne doesn't seem fazed.

"Well. That's where you're wrong. Y'see, our souls are fused, and so if her lights go out, i'll be back where I started with a base stat of one, and then, oops, maybe, I might just accidentally trip and land on one of my gold attacks. Lights-out, hmm?"

She doesn't seem to have the words to respond.

"Where is she, Undyne?"

"...I'd never tell you, Sans."

"Undyne.. please tell him." Papyrus mutters.

"Why!"

"...I.. he said no one had to get hurt. If we just.. leave them alone.. maybe it'll all stop? We won't have to fight.. there's good in everyone."

She glares at him.

"...She's... she's at the warehouse. About a mile East."

"Thanks." I mutter.

Undyne glares at me, angrily, hate in her eyes.

We were friends, once.

It doesn't take me long to locate the warehouse, it's like I can feel her soul resonating as  I get closer.

I pull back the doors.

There aren't any guards.

Undyne must've called them off.

The girl sits in the center of the large building, and I bolt toward her.

She's bloodied, and bruised but she'll live.

"S-sans..?" She mutters.

"Hey there, Sweet-heart." 

"You're late, Bones." She mumbles.

"Traffic was bad." I smile faintly.

"heh."

"I'm glad you're okay, though."

"I don't feel okay. I feel like my skin has been rubbed with sandpaper."

I don't know what to say.

"Sorry?"

She rolls her eyes.