Beating Heart - Bucky Barnes x Reader

A/N: SPOILERS! (DUH!)

The dream always starts out the same.

You would be in the corner your gaze fixed upon a person on an operating table.

"AHHHHHHH!"

A male. A male was being tortured.

Choked screams filled his and your mouth.

His pain was also yours. And the worst part was his resolve.

Eyes make their peace in difficulties

With wounded lips and salted cheeks

Tears slipped down his face while he harshly bit the mouth guard.

The doctor continued to electrically shock his brain; effectively he lost any and all memory.

Always, when you had enough strength to propel yourself to him you would screech:

"BUCKY!!"

***

Jolting out of your sleep made you collapse to the floor... on your face.

"Ow"

Immediately you heard rushed footsteps and your apartment door was thrusted open.

"______!"

You looked up. "Steve" He ran all the way from his door across the hall to yours...again.

Steve ran to your side and helped you up. Once seeing your tear-stained face he understood. "It was the nightmare again; wasn't it?"

You took one look at him and immediately you saw your grief mirrored through his. "Yeah"

Steve messaged your back and replied, "He's gone, ______. He fell off the train all those years ago" Steve's gaze was removed from yours for a moment until you spoke up.

"Steve I know. I remember. I was there when I received-" You couldn't say it. That was the single most horrible moment in your life; receiving the news that your two best friends died in the war. Upset you continued, "But what I don't understand is that I still feel him... like he is alive somewhere"

"______ we went over this..."

"No Steve!" You backed away from his hold. "I know it! Remember my ability to predict things has never failed me a-and it shouldn't now!"

You ran off and once you reached the roof of the apartment building you jumped.

Immediately you were lifted through the air by your mental powers. You flew as the wind whisked passed your ear.

"I wish he believed me"

Your thoughts roamed to how you first discovered your powers. In reality, you were as old as Steve.

The simple explanation was that once you received word both Bucky and Steve, your childhood best friends, died in the Second World War, your grief overcame you. Instead of it killing you or causing depression, you exploded.

More accurately, everything that was unfortunate enough to be around you shattered or flew several yards away.

At first this terrified you, but through your sadness and frustration, your powers overtook you. Thus the 1940's S.H.I.E.L.D. agency came to your door (or what was left of it) to try and sedate you. Seeing as your power was too overwhelming, the agency had to put you in a sleeping state; so one day someone would wake you up. And when that day came, you were surprised and exultant to see Steve alive.