When You Swallow A Lion's Heart

The cats in Jumblefuss were idiots. Or at least naive. No, most likely idiots. Miu had only had to be there half a day to catch the scam. Only half a day!

The town was a larger melting pot that attracted tourists because of its scenery, greater use of technology, and so-called good fortune. Every different pelt, tongue, and subculture had likely been here. So Miu didn't understand why they all fell for the scam of the House of Adh Mor.

The fat manager, whose real name he had no idea, would advertise blessings and good luck from the gods.... with only a small price. He insisted that he be called Maneki, because him, as a rare male calico of course, had the power to 'bestow' the wishes of faint-hearted tourists. And then to top it off, he had his good looking staffer out front laying it on thick, and, he thought reluctantly, doing a pretty good job of it.

"Just throw your offering into the fountain of Mirth! The more you give, the more you receive! Once in a life time chance to meet the Maneki-Neko, gifted with the art of fortune!"

And then she would smile and wink, ushering in the pathetic fallers of her many lies. Miu watched in growing irritation. The currants thrown into the fountain had to go somewhere, get emptied out in the back maybe, where they'd be counted. A lightbulb went off in his head. A dishonest business perhaps, but he was a dishonest thief, wasn't he?

Miu smirked and quietly slunk away from the growing line. He wound his way around the house until a slightly ajar back door came into view. He let himself in and crept down the corridor, following the sound of clanging metal. The currants were letting out into a barrel, (yes, a whole barrel!) in a back courtyard. A grey cat sat near it, reading a book with great interest. The title caught Miu's eye. 'Understanding Matinese Glyphs." He raised a brow, perplexed. Matinese was a dead language, why would anyone bother learning it? Whatever. The cat could do whatever he liked. Miu turned his attention back to the barrel. He could easily intercept some of the currants without trouble. The grey wasn't a threat.

He let out a breath. Miu loved the exhilaration of stealing. He could likely swipe enough currants to last him a long time. Afford an expensive meal even! His mouth watered. Miu was tired of hunting and returning with nothing but half-starved sparrows. He was decided. He slunk around behind the barrel. The grey cat paid him no notice. He dipped his paw into the metallic water, scooping several of the nut-sized copper balls into the pouch around his neck. He kept going until it was almost full. Miu grinned, going for one last paw-ful. Maybe he was wrong, and the House of Adh Mor was filled with good fortune. The currants spilled into his pouch. One of them breached over the rim and bounced along the courtyard stones until it came to a rest beside the reading cat. He looked up.

Miu hastily tightened his pouch after shoving a few more currants in. The cat was dumbstruck.

"H-hey! What are you doing!"

He took off toward the main entrance. There was no longer any point in going low-key.

"Wait! You can't do that! Get back here!"

Miu sensed the grey cat was following him now, but it was no matter. He put on some speed and burst into the centre of the house, where Maneki was busy 'blessing' a tourist. He looked up in alarm. Miu laughed and continued running. He was almost home free... But then he had to look to the left. One glance to the left and his life was changed.

Because Miu had so strictly thought that the House of Adh Mor was nothing but a fake, sealed his curiosity towards the object placed on a pedestal. He slowed down. It was an odd shape, perhaps a weird type of gem, and it was glowing colors of red and gold. His eyes shined. What was it's worth? A thousand turkey meals flashed behind his eyes. He had to have it.