Chapter 6

Edwards's POV:

"Layla, Ed, we're leaving now!" Layla and I hear dad shout from downstairs. We head out of my room and walk downstairs together. For the past hour, we've been discussing our plan in detail. We need it all to be perfect if we're gonna find out Maya's secret. We don't know for sure that she has one, but we're pretty sure. 

"You remember what you're gonna say when we leave the restaurant?" I ask Layla. I just have to be sure she remembers. We can't fail on this plan. 

"Of course, relax." She assures me. I nod and give her a smile. 

We enter the living room and see dad holding an arm around Maya's shoulders. His other arm is used to hold Jennie. 

"Kids, I want a picture of you all before we leave." Dad says and sets Jennie down on the floor. She runs to us and I pick her up, holding her between me and Layla. Maya looks at me in disgust as I'm holding her daughter, so I can't help but just smirk. Her not liking me is exactly what I want, no matter how weird that sounds. 

All 3 of us kids smile for dad's picture as he snaps the photo with his phone. I'm pretty sure he uploaded it to either Twitter or Instagram, but I'm not sure. I'll probably check it out later. 

"Should we get going, then?" Dad asks and we all nod. I start carrying Jennie out to the car, but Maya takes her out of my arms which makes Jennie pout.

"But mummy, I want Eddie to carry me!" Jennie says and tries to get out of her grip. 

"You don't need anyone to carry you, sweetheart. You're a big girl and can walk on your own." Maya says and sets her down on the floor. She immediately runs to me and I pick her up, smirking to Maya who just rolls her eyes at me. I secretly high-five Layla before we leave the house. 

We head out to the car and I help Jennie into her car seat. Then I get into the back with Layla. Maya and dad sits down in the front and dad begins driving. 

A good 20 minutes later, we park in front of the restaurant. I quickly get out of the car and help Jennie out, much to Maya's disliking. I smile to myself and grab Jennie's hand. Layla takes her other hand and we start walking inside together. 

We don't make it far before we're mobbed by paparazzi and people I assume is some of dad's fans. Layla is quick to pick up Jennie and she buries her head in her big sister's neck. I can tell Jennie isn't too used to the attention. 

I'm still holding Jennie's hand as we get inside. We had to push through the crowd to get inside, but we made it. I wonder if dad ever had to carry me and Layla through big crowds like that sometimes. 

"Our table is right over here." Dad says and leads us to the table in the corner. We sit down, Jennie sitting between me and Layla. Maya wanted Jennie to sit with her, but we're not gonna let that happen. Yes, Maya is her mother, but we just wanna protect our little sister. 

"Daddy?" Jennie says, getting dad's attention. I look at Maya, and she seems bothered that she asked for dad instead of her. 

"Yes, sweetheart?" Dad asks. 

"Can I have burger and fries?" Jennie asks him. 

"Of course you can. And what do you want to drink?" 

"Apple juice." She says, smiling. Dad nods before looking back and forth between me and Lay. 

"And what about you two? What do you wanna eat?" He asks us. 

"I'm gonna take a burger, too." Layla says and I nod in agreement. 

"Seems like you all have gotten my taste in food." Dad says and chuckles. We all just smile at him. I can tell he's happy to have me and Layla back and that we've become so close to Jennie already.