The Dress

Padmé knocked on the door of her parents' house, anxious to see what they would think.

She and Anakin exchanged nervous glances as Jobal Nabérrie opened the front door, smiling.

"Anakin! You're back," she exclaimed, beaming. She seemed ecstatic, but the couple stood across from her, awaiting Padmé's mother's anger when they informed her of their decision.

Jobal stood, surveying their blank expressions. "What? Is something wrong? Why don't you two come in and have a seat?" she said all at once, beckoning Anakin and Padmé in. Anakin allowed Padmé in first, followed by Jobal, and lastly, he walked in, shutting the door behind them all.

The house was all too familiar to Anakin. The fresh scent of spring air as it flowed through the open windows, the sunlight flooding through. Even the feeling of the house Anakin recognized.

Taking a seat beside Padmé on the couch across from her mother, he glanced around nervously at his surroundings. He watched the clock as the seconds of silence ticked by.

Jobal's sharp intake of a breath made Anakin's attention snap back to her. He watched her sigh, raising her eyebrows. Catching his gaze, Jobal smiled.

"So, what are you two here for?" she asked. "Just for a visit, or..." She sat, confused by her daughter's silence. When visiting, Padmé always had much to say.

Anakin and Padmé met eyes, silently debating which one of them should break the news. Finally, Padmé decided to speak first.

"Mother, we have something to explain to you," Padmé announced calmly. "Please, hear us out, no matter what we say. Got it?"

Jobal nodded.

"Okay," Padmé said, breathing out. She looks towards Anakin, and on queue, he straightened himself and faced Jobal, opening his mouth to speak.

"Mrs. Nabérrie, I'd like to ask for your daughter's hand --"

"No," Padmé hissed, warning in her tone. Her eyes flashed. "Mother, Anakin has asked me to marry him. We want you to help us keep our secret."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Later that day, Jobal Nabérrie sat in the wedding dress shop with Sola, Ryoo, Pooja, Ruwee and Darred, Sola's husband. Padmé was trying on wedding dresses, discreetly so that no one else would notice in the shop.

"Mother? Are you ready for the first dress?" Padmé called from the small room she changed in and out to the room her family sat in.

"Yes, come out and show us!" Jobal called, and Padmé could hear her two nieces cheer in agreement.

Padmé strode out to the room where her family sat with a big ball gown on, white and strapless with a beige ribbon tied around her abdomen.

"Pretty!" Ryoo said, beaming. Pooja nodded.

"Oh, yes, it's beautiful," agreed Padmé's father.

"Mom? Sola? Darred?" Padmé turned to them with an expectant look on her face.

"It's a little too... big for you," Sola said, and Jobal nodded.

"It's just not really you," Darred added. "It's beautiful, though."

"Well what do you think of it, Padmé?" Jobal asked.

Padmé stood in front of her family, smoothing the skirt of her dress out. "I agree," she said, drawing a breath. "It's a little poofy." She turned to the mirror, gazing at her own image. "And not really me. I can't see myself wearing on my wedding day."

"Was that a 'no?'" Pooja asked. "Show us the next one!"

Padmé smiled. "Alright. Onto the second one."

In five minutes time, Padmé came back out of the dressing room with a cream-colored dress on, shoulder-less and sleeves full of lace.

"Ooh," Ryoo and Pooja swooned. Padmé's parents smiled, saying the dress was beautiful. Sola told everyone the dress was perfect for Padmé, and Darred agreed wholeheartedly.

"Padmé, it's breathtaking," Jobal complimented.

Padmé turned to glance at herself in the mirror again, shrugging. "Something's just not right about this dress. I don't think Anakin would like it, anyway."

"Sis, are you kidding? Anakin will think you're beautiful no matter what! I don't think he would care if you wearing a trash bag to your wedding."

Padmé turned to Sola, cracking a smile. "I guess, but... this just isn't the dress."

Leaving everyone disappointed, Padmé walked back to the dressing room and unzipped the dress she had on, hanging it up on the wall beside her. She changed into the last dress she had in the room with her, her last option, and zipped it up with confidence. When she looked at herself in the dress, she smiled. This was the one. She was sure.

She walked out to her family, and she could've sworn her mother almost passed out from excitement. Everyone was absolutely ecstatic about the dress. It seemed it was perfect.

Even Ruwee started to shed a tear.

Padmé walked over and embraced him, hugging him tight. "Is this the one, Dad?"

"This is the one," Ruwee choked back, wiping his tears away. "You are beautiful, Padmé."

"Thank you, Dad. I love you," she said, kissing his forehead.

She stood back in front of everyone, beaming. "So... this is the one, right?"

Padmé's family erupted in cheers, approving the dress. She couldn't wait until Anakin saw her on their special day.