Never Say Never

Anakin was working hard the next evening on Padmé's Nubian cruiser, ready to head off to Geonosis to go find Obi-Wan.

Finished checking every possible system within the ship that could go wrong at some point, Anakin stood leaning against the exterior of the ship, thinking, asking himself all sorts of questions, mostly about he and Padmé.

When would Padmé finally break down and tell him she loved him?

Would this trip be a good bonding experience for the two?

Were they ever going to officially become a couple?

What if the Jedi found out?

Was he himself going to become a rebel?

No, no, I can't become a rebel, he thought. But it was worth it to Anakin for Padmé.

Anakin shook himself of his thoughts and walked inside the front door, looking around. "Padmé? Are you ready?" he called.

"Yes! I'll be out in a minute!" she replied from the first flight of stairs.

Running down to Anakin with her white jumpsuit and matching shawl on, she stood in front of him and smiled. "Are you ready? Just about done fixing everything up?"

"Yes, I'm finished," he answered. "Well, let's go."

Anakin stepped out of the way of the door, gesturing Padmé out. "After you, milady."

"Thank you." Padmé ducked past him and walked out of the house, Anakin following her.

When they got settled in the ship, Anakin sat there, quiet.

"Are we going to leave?" Padmé asked, glancing at him.

"Oh, right." He smiled. "I'm sorry."

Anakin prepared to take off, but hesitated. After a moment of silence in the ship, he spoke.

"Padmé?" he said quietly, meeting eyes with her. "Do you..." He paused, turning towards her and really looking into her eyes, determined.

"Padmé, do you love me?"

Padmé clenched her jaw, turning back towards the front of the ship and gazing out at the window. "Not this again, Anakin..."

"No, really," he said, inching forward in his chair. "Do you?"

Padmé let out a breath and met eyes with him again. "I... I don't know. I can't answer that question, Ani. I just can't."

"Yes, you can." Anakin paused, staring at Padmé intensely. "You're just afraid of me getting in trouble."

"No..."

"Yes. That's what this is. It's excuse after excuse, Padmé, and I'm tired of it. Just tell me the truth," he begged, standing up out of his chair walking over to her. "Please."

He leaned down, setting his forehead against hers and parting his lips, inching closer and closer to Padmé's. She was in it, going along with it, despite her protests seconds before. She almost kissed him.

But she didn't.

She pushed him away, turning back towards the front and burying her face in her hands. "Let's go. We're never going to have enough time to save Obi-Wan."

"But, Padmé --"

"Just go!" she cried. She shuddered, holding back tears.

Anakin didn't want to listen, but he did anyway. He sat back in his seat, taking off at full speed towards Geonosis.

What have I done? he thought miserably, glancing over at Padmé. Her head was buried in her arms, her face turned the other way, opposite of him. She'll never love me now.