Nightmare

The next night, Padmé slept soundly in bed, dreaming good dreams, the kind that made her smile in her sleep.

Minutes later she was woken by faint mumbling coming from the room across from hers. Concerned and confused at the same time, she got up out of bed and strode across the dark hallway and into the room, where Anakin lay asleep, mumbling, "Mom. Mom, no," repeatedly.

As Anakin repeated those words, the volume of it progressed quickly, almost to the point of yelling. His body jerked uncontrollably, just until Padmé was able to wake him by shaking his shoulder and calling his name.

Anakin woke abruptly, his eyes wide. He breathed fast, his chest rising and falling at a very fast rate. When he met eyes with Padmé, he took one last deep breath and swallowed, trying as best as he could to calm himself.

"Padmé," he mumbled, squinting through the dark to see her, "what are you doing here?"

"I heard you," Padmé whispered. "You had a nightmare. Was it about your mother?"

Anakin paused, averting his eyes from Padmé. "Yes. She was suffering." Anakin looked to Padmé, on the brink of tears. "She's dying, Padmé. I have to save her, and... I know I'm disobeying my mandate to protect you, but I have to go."

"I'll go with you," Padmé told him, her voice and the expression on her face full of sincerity.

"No. You stay here, with your family. I don't want you getting hurt."

"Please, Anakin --"

"No."

"Anakin! Obi-Wan specifically instructed you to never let me out of your sight. I heard him tell you that on the transporter ship on our way here."

Anakin frowned. He knew she was right, he just didn't want to believe her.

"Fine."

Padmé watched Anakin as he stood, pulling a fresh, clean tunic over his head. "But you're going to have to stick with me no matter what, just like Master Obi-Wan said."

"Yes, I am. What's the worst thing that could happen anyway?"

"You could get hurt, and if that happens, that also means I would be in big trouble." Anakin looked in the mirror and adjusted his collar, pulling the neck to the side a little. "Come on. Bring a change of clothes and anything else you might need. I'm hoping we'll only be there for a day or so."

"Anakin, do you realize how early it is in the morning?"

"The earlier we'll arrive," Anakin replied, shaking his head. "And Padmé -- tell your parents we're leaving."

Padmé nodded and did what she was instructed to do and in a matter of minutes, she was out in the ship with Anakin, preparing to take off.

"Padmé."

She looked to Anakin, where she was sitting in the pilot's seat, facing front. "Yes?"

Anakin turned around, meeting eyes with Padmé. "If my mom... if she's okay, I want to stay on Tatooine for a few extra days. Is that alright?"

"Of course, Ani. I'd be happy to."

Anakin forced a small smile and turned back around, lifting the ship off of the ground and pulling back the throttle. "Just prepare yourself, Padmé. I'm not sure what is to come."

Padmé nodded slowly in response, easing back in her chair. She was worried, worried for Anakin, and the relationship he currently had with his mother.