Chapter 1

(A/N)

This is the first book I have written and am actually allowing people to read. The main characters are loosely based off of my friends and I from the day we met so please don't criticize them. Thank you for reading me ramble so now, please comment, vote, fan if you like it, and enjoy my story! :) <3

                                                                         Chapter 1

            The ground under my feet reminded me of a lush, green carpet. The trees over head created a canopy, shielding the ground from the sun. The sounds of paws hitting the ground surrounded me, the faint scents swirled around in my head. I was outnumbered. I was but one and they were three. How was that fair? I tried not to panic, to keep my head about myself. They were animals, they could smell fear and I couldn't allow them to know I was afraid. I stood my ground, listening intently and looking about me, searching my surroundings to see where they would enter.

            I should be afraid. I entered into their territory without their permission. I knew what I was getting myself into the instant I entered but nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to encounter.

            The slight rustling of leaves from behind alerted me and I pivoted to face my fate. I turned around at the same moment they walked out of the bushes. I was right, there were three of them. I smiled inwardly and patted myself on the back. I prided myself on my ability to scent and hunt whatever my objective was. I shook my head, bringing myself back to what was being laid out before me. I studied the three wolves that stood before me. They were larger than any normal wolf, larger than a normal lycan, even the smallest one. Yes, I know what they are. Who they were was a different story.

            I stared curiously at them, trying to memorize their looks and sort out their scents. The first one who stepped out was a beautiful jet black wolf with eyes that shined like the purest emerald gems. The one that immediately followed was a white and grey wolf, slightly larger than its predecessor, with the most beautiful brown eyes with golden flecks dispersed within them. The last one seemed to linger in the back. I sensed she was wary of me. I chuckled inwardly to myself, my barrier and strong outward appearance was working flawlessly. After a few cautious steps I could see the third wolf clearly and, to be honest, she was stunning. She was a black wolf beautifully favored with streaks of silver the color of the full moon. I couldn't believe that something so beautiful would be hiding, her beauty deserved to be seen.

            Staring at me were three sets of very curious and judging eyes, trying to assess whether I was friend or foe. I wouldn't allow myself to be seen as weak, that wasn't in my nature. I cautiously weighed my options: I could show that I was strong and stand my ground (which probably wouldn't turn out well at all) or I could smile and be friendly (even though I'm INCREDIBLY shy). I decided to go with the latter. Slightly cocking my head to the side, I gave a sincere smile, hoping to seem friendly. A lot of the fear and judging instantly left their eyes and they started to perk up. The jet black wolf was the first one to approach me. She seemed to know I meant no harm because she eagerly trotted up to me and sniffed around my vicinity. We took in each other's scents and eagerly memorized it. When she made it all the way around back to my front she shifted into human form. If I thought her wolf form was beautiful just the sheer stunning appearance of her human form blew me away. She was about 5'2", average build, toned, and had long, flowing jet black hair. Her emerald eyes carried over in her transformation and I couldn't help but stare.

            She stuck her hand out towards me, "Hi, I'm Akiko Fuuchouin. Just call me Akiko though." Her smile was so serene and sincere I couldn't help being drawn to her.

            "Hi, Akiko, I'm... Luna. Just Luna." I tried to sound as casual as possible, not wanting to over assert myself. That was always a problem of mine. I was the only member of my family who possessed the lycanthrope gene. For this very reason, I was never truly accepted and seen as "weird" or an "outsider". It was natural for wolves to show their dominance to those they see as weak and my parents never really liked that. My family members were weak humans who never understood me at all. I was not a caged animal and refused to be treated as such. So one night I decided I had had enough and gathered up a few essentials and set out to find others like me. Others who will accept me for me and love me for who I am.

The black wolf, Akiko, smiled towards the others and motioned for them to come over and meet me. They hesitated slightly before cautiously walking our way. The silver and white wolf was the first to shift, her human form was as breathtaking as Akiko's. She had mid length, moderately curly hair in varying colors of brown with blonde side bangs. Her legs and arms were fairly muscular, showing they've been used and not neglected. She stood about 5'7" and was absolutely stunning. I could tell she was still wary of me but forced herself to speak to me.

"Hello Luna, I'm Rebekah Avigael MacBronwenn but you can call me Beka for short. "  She also extended her hand, just as Akiko had done, and I introduced myself once again. I sniffed the air to memorize her scent and associate it with her name and face.

"Oh and that's Mariah, she's really shy and doesn't talk much," Beka pointed towards the black and silver wolf.

Cautiously sniffing the air again I realized the other wolf, Mariah, hadn't gotten any closer nor had she shifted into her human form. I looked at her curiously and took a step towards her. Her body instantly froze, I stopped and quickly took a few steps backwards so as not to startle her any more. She seemed to relax a little and I quickly realized that I would have to gain her trust before I could approach her on my own terms. So, until that day came, I will keep my distance and allow her to approach me if she so chooses to. When she realized I wasn't going to come any closer, she shifted into her human form. Like Akiko and Beka, she was amazingly beautiful. Mariah stood about 5'5" and had the most amazingly short, red curly hair. If she wasn't so afraid of me I would love to walk up to her and play with it (curly hair has always amused me). I knew I couldn't but the thought of me doing so made me giggle. I felt my eyes go wide as I begin to blush, trying to use both of my hands to cover my mouth. Suddenly, I felt three sets of eyes staring at me curiously.

'Way to go, Luna,' I yelled at myself. 'Now they're really gonna think you're strange!' While I was having this internal battle with myself, they began to snicker at me. Upon hearing them, I suddenly became startled and jumped back, my body instinctively lowering into a crouch to prepare to attack.

Akiko, Beka, and Mariah all stopped mid laugh and stared at me, stunned. As soon as I realized what was going on my body began to relax. I stood up slowly and wiped with dirt from my hands and straightened my shirt back into place, giving them a nervous but sincere smile. The three wolves stared at me a moment longer before finally tell me what I had been waiting to hear.

"Luna, we know why you are here," Akiko said, stepping forward slightly. I stood my ground to show her that I wasn't going to back down, nor did I avert my eyes until after she did. "We would like to extend an invitation to you to join our pack and live with us, if you'd like."

Inside, my wolf was jumping for joy and wagged her tail. The evidence of her happiness shone through my eyes. We were finally a part of a pack with real friends. Friends that would soon become our family, those we would love, live for, and die for if need be. I readily agreed and joined their pack, happiness emanating from my every pore.