☾The Fallout with the Truth.☽

It was the next day, after school. Two days from Valentine's Day. After their odd day the previous, full of confusing feelings and spilled secrets and hidden kisses-- both of the girls were hoping that neither of them would bring it up. But even with that being a fact, both Riley and Maya were curious about how the girls had spent their nights. Riley had no idea how she'd ever explain what happened with Farkle, nor did she think she'd want to. And Maya? She spent the night normally. Texting Lucas until midnight, then passing out before she could take off her makeup. Maybe her night wasn't so weird. 

Riley looked over toward her friend, and when Maya noticed that, she sighed. 

"Riley, you haven't said a word sense I brought up Farkle."

"Why did you have to bring up Farkle?" The brunette turned to her friend once again, her fake smile all too apparent. 

Maya paused for a moment. "I came by your window again.. After I left. Because I was worried about you, Riley." She said slowly. "You weren't here. You said you were tired, but you weren't in bed. And I knew you weren't at Lucas'. Who else's house would you be at besides F--"

"How do you know I wasn't?! Maybe I was."

"You weren't."

"How do you know that?"

"Because I was texting him all night, Riley! He never mentioned you coming over. I even asked."

"What if he lied?"

"Lucas is awful at lying. You and me both know that."

Riley held her lips together.

"Riley, did something else happen with Farkle?" Maya had leaned in closer to the brunette, studying her face. 

"No, Maya."

She could tell that was wrong. Riley was lying to her. Something big happened. "Sisters tell each other everything. Tell me."

"I don't think I can."

Maya gasped. "Something did happen!"

"Maya, I'm not going to tell you. I won't be a good friend if I did. Not to him. He has a girlfriend. A girlfriend who loves him and he loves her. Farkle's over me, I- I don't even know why he did what he did." 

The blonde raised her eyebrows and Riley took a deep breath, taking time to study her hands. 

"Riley, what happened? I'm not going to stop until you tell me. Or I'll ask him. I want to know that you're okay."

"Maya, I'm fine. Let this one be, alright?" Riley looked up, smiling at her friend. 

"No." Maya refused, shaking her head stubbornly. She wouldn't let this one go. Not now, not ever. Not until Riley told her the truth. What happened is important, even if Farkle has a girlfriend. Besides, what could really be so bad as to what might have happened. Riley and Farkle have always been close. The worst thing they could have done was...

"Oh no."

Riley furrowed her eyebrows, glancing up and down at Maya. "What..?"

"He didn't..." 

"Maya, I said to just--"

"He kissed you?!" She nearly shrieked. "And he didn't miss? And you didn't tell me? Riley, why couldn't you have just told me that Farkle kissed you?"

"Because it didn't matter! It-- It didn't mean anything."

"It did too! If you didn't tell me about it? You care about it."

"He has a girlfriend, Maya! I'm not going to just waltz up to him when he's with someone else."

"You could at least have told me! I could help you figure out what this all means."

"But what if it doesn't mean anything? What if it was just a kiss?"

"It's never just a kiss, Riley."

She stopped, not sure for how much longer she could continue to pretend that she didn't like Farkle. Especially not after their kiss. And not after this conversation with Maya. Riley took a deep breath, laying herself down on her bed, closing her eyes. "I don't want to like Farkle, peaches."

"I know, honey." Maya sat next to her, watching as Riley folded her arms over her chest. "But you do."

She breathed in quietly, slowly nodding her head. "I do." Riley sat up quickly, trying to take back what she said. It was too late however, and now Maya finally knew the truth. "I didn't mean to like him, Maya. Make me change my mind."

Maya wrinkled her face. "I can't, sweetie. Feelings are here to stay."

Riley groaned, laying her head on Maya's shoulder. 

Valentine's Day was not going to be fun.