Chapter 5- NEWS

Chapter 5- NEWS

Tania’s P.O.V. (Anabelle’s mum)

I would never slap Ana! And if I really did, it would be because the alcohol was controlling me. I lied to Ana about my employee having a bachelorette party. I just found out that Devin, my ex-husband, is going to remarry already, while here I am, a divorced lady.

            I don’t know how to tell Ana the news, I’m sure she’s going to flip out. She’s a daddy’s girl, always been one. Her heart will crumple into pieces, although, I know that I did that already… by slapping her. I have to apologize and say the news at the same time. I don’t know how. I don’t think I can.

            Ana hasn’t gone back down since she ran back up to her room. I am certainly worried for her already. As I was getting up from my seat to check on Ana, I heard soft footsteps going down the banister. I turned my head and saw Ana quietly going down, as if not wanting to let me know that she is already downstairs.

            My heart crumpled into pieces when I saw Ana’s tear-stained cheeks. She had been crying. Her eyes are red and swollen. It is my fault she cried. The sight of her, broken, pains me. Her eyes roamed around the whole living room. Once her eyes landed on me, alarm filled her eyes.

            She tried to walk back upstairs but I stopped her by saying, “Wait,” in a croaky and raspy voice. I too, have been crying. She was hesitant but stopped anyways… “I’m sorry,” I sobbed. Hot tears were rolling down her cheeks the moment I spoke. She flung herself to me and cried.

            She nestled her head at the crook of my neck. This was the most intimate thing we’d have and done for a couple of years now. I had missed this. I’ve been too busy with work that I somehow had forgotten of Anna. Anna is the only one I have right now, losing her would just be similar with me losing my life.

“Mum, why did you drink. Please answer me honestly…” Anna pleaded, looking at me with sad eyes.

“I-I,” I stuttered.

My phone rang, saving me from saying why I drank. I stood up from the couch and answered my phone.

“Good noon too. May I know who’s on the line please?”

The answer of the person from the other line shocked me. I nearly dropped my phone to the ground. My voice was shaky as I answered the person on the phone.

“Jenna,” I breathed out. “Are you sure of that? Is it confirmed?”

“Yes, it is confirmed. Devin said he wanted to be able to tell the news to Anna himself.” I sighed deeply, feeling lightheaded.

“Okay. I will make sure to bring Anna there. When would he want to see her?”

“If you can, now…”

“Now… Okay. We’ll see each other then.”

My hands were trembling as I ended the phone call. I haven’t even told Anna about Devin remarrying; another problem has to come up! It would crumple her heart!

“Mum, now that you’re off the phone, please answer my question. Why did you drink?” Her voice was pleading.

“I drank because… Devin is remarrying. He is getting married with Jenna…” I mumbled sitting down beside her.

Anna jerked up and shook her head wildly. “NO! It’s impossible! I was just with Dad last week! He never told me that he was in a relationship! Especially with Aunt Jenna! I mean, she’s your best friend! Dad wouldn’t hide a fact that big from me either!”

“I wouldn’t lie to you,” I said.

“Why should I believe you when you didn’t believe me?” She said shaking her head and going out of the house.

Anabelle’s P.O.V.

I can’t believe Mum would say that! Aunt Jenna would never go behind Mum’s back to date my dad. Their best friends! I have been walking in the park aimlessly, and when I checked the time on my phone, I figured that I’ve been out for two hours already.

When I got back home, my mom was in her bedroom just staring out the window. I sighed deeply and went straight towards my room.

“Ana, I know it’s you. Please come to my room,” my mother called. I wanted to turn away and continue heading to my room, but I did otherwise. As I entered my mum’s room, I saw tissue scattered all over her bed and her eyes, red and swollen. I frowned. My mum was being honest. I sat down beside her and she placed her warm and comforting arms around me and said, “Sorry that I had to tell you that way…”

            I just nodded. “SO, we’re good, right?” my said, smiling a bit. I giggled and hugged her so tight. The good old’ days… “Jenna was the one who called me up a while ago and she said your dad wants to be able to talk to you.”

            I froze on my spot. I’m not yet ready to see him after the news was given to me. I might just break down or something along the lines of that. My dad has always seen me as a strong girl. I was raised up being taught to be strong in all circumstances. “Get ready. We better get going. Their house is an hour drive from here.” “Okay.”

            I got ready and we went straight away to Dad’s house once I finished dressing up. It took us exactly an hour to get to Dad’s house. When we got there, I can’t help but think why Dad would hide such a big thing from me.

“You’re finally here!” Dad exclaimed while enveloping me in a firm hug. I returned the hug after a couple of seconds. Usually, I would be the first to initiate the hug, but it was different today. Different in a way that it seemed like Dad remarrying wasn’t the only news… I have a gut feeling that there is something more behind this visit.