Chapter 48 The way of the ninja

Start from the beginning

Naruto had a thoughtful expression. Could it be true? He didn’t want to believe it, but it would explain a  lot. Why Taryn was always so quick to defend him. Why she had gone to such lengths to protect Sasuke. Why she had been so angry with him after Itachi’s death. But if she hadn’t known…

Then he remembered Madara’s question. Why had Itachi chased her out of Konoha?

“Because they were in love,” he suggested, “he didn’t want her to hate him. Because she might try and stop him.”

Madara scoffed. “A child’s answer. Try again.”

“They would suspect her. They would think she had helped him.”

“Suspicion would never fall on her,” Madara said, “it was the elders of Konoha that had commissioned Itachi in the first place. They would know the truth. But perhaps you figured it out, Kakashi? You served the ANBU. Surely you must realize.”

“The elders wanted her dead,” Kakashi stated calmly.

“Very good,” Madara smirked, “because she was so close with Itachi, it endangered the mission. They were afraid he would back out.”

Naruto narrowed his eyes. “I don’t believe you! The Hokage would never allow that!”

“Don’t be so foolish,” Madara told him, “why do you think he let her stay in Konoha after her banishment? Not out of the goodness of his heart. She possessed Byakugan, which belongs to the Hyuuga clan. Also, she’s a strong fighter and an excellent spy. He’d be a fool not to use such a weapon.”

Naruto shook his head. He couldn’t believe it. But even Kakashi-sensei believed it.

“What about Sasuke then?” Naruto asked.

Madara looked at him amused. “As his friend, you think you know him, but you don’t understand him at all. He’s the real thing. A true avenger. He chose this himself. I took a gamble with him, not knowing whether he would follow Itachi’s wishes or choose revenge against Konoha. He chose revenge. That just means that in his heart, he was always one of us. Right now, Sasuke’s goal is vengeance against Konoha for what they did to the Uchiha clan and to Itachi.”

“I’m not going to take revenge on him.”

Taryn’s earlier words. She had felt guilty.

 ‘It’s all my fault.”

Her fault that she hadn’t told him herself? Or that she hadn’t prevented Madara from telling him? “Why?” he whispered, “Why did this have to happen to him?”

“He had no choice,” Madara said, “hate is the destiny of the Uchiha clan. It has been like that for generations. It began long ago with the founder of the ninja world. The Sage of Six Paths.”

“He’s nothing but a myth,” Kakashi said, “the Rinnengan is just a mutation.”

“The myth is based on real evens,” Madara countered, “the Rikudo Sage preached the way of the ninja and tried to bring peace to the world, but when it was still just a dream, his time came. He entrusted two boys with the power and will of the ninja way. The elder was born with the Sage’s eyes and was gifted with a powerful chakra and spiritual energy. He believed that was the way to peace.  

            The younger was born with the Sage’s body and he was gifted with his life force and physical energy. He believed love was the key to peace. On his death bed the Sage had to choose a successor. And this chain of hated was born form that decision. The Sage believed it was the younger who was best suited to be his successor and chose him.