Chapter 10- Dan's POV

I was sitting at the lunch the next day, still feeling like I was light as could be after Phil had come over on Sunday. Elana came over and sat on my lap and leaned in for a kiss. When I barely kissed her back, she pulled back and gave me a frustrated look. "Sorry, Elana." I said. "One of the headmaster's main complaints was my 'unnecessary displays of affection' so maybe not now."

Elana crossed her arms. "Never stopped you before, Dan. If that's so important now, then why don;t you make more time for me?"

"Elana, you know how my mum feels about me going to parties after the last one. How about this; We'll go out to Starbucks after I finish tutoring today. How does 5:30 sound?"

Elana nodded. "Yeah, the same one we usually go to? It's about time; we haven't been in forever!"

"Um, yeah. Same one as usual." I said. Just then the bell rang and Elana grabbed her ridiculously expensive backpack and headed off to class with her friends. I got up and grabbed my backpack, realizing something as I did. I couldn't keep leading Elana on like this. I was falling for someone else, and this was unfair to her.

I went through the rest of the day with this thought in my head. I couldn't shake it off. Phil must have noticed, because as soon as we sat down for tutoring, he asked me, "Okay, Dan. What's wrong?"

I started pulling books out of my bag. "What are you talking about? I'm fine!" Phil just rolled his eyes. 

"Dan, I know you better than that. I could tell during class that something was up. Is is something with your mum? Other family? You can tell me, you know."

I sighed. No hiding it from Phil. "No, my family's fine. I'm breaking up with Elana today. I realized that I don't even like her, and I can't just keep leading her on. I'm meeting her at Starbucks after our tutoring session."

Phil looked concerned. "How do you think that she'll feel about that? I mean, she doesn't seem like the type to take that well."

"Oh, yeah. I mean, the last guy that broke up with her ended up with a broken nose. Her brother is a second degree black belt in martial arts. Yeah, I'm kind of scared."

Phil's eyes widened. "Oh. Well, if you need anything, don't hesitate to text me or something."

I nodded, and we started working. The next two hours went by so slow, just because of the dread building up inside of me. When we finally finished, Phil gave me a hug, and my heart started beating hard. It was beating so hard I was sure he could feel it. "Good luck." Phil said before pulling back.

I mumbled my thanks before getting in my car, which my mum had kindly let me use to drive to school today. I pulled out of the school and made my way to Starbucks. I was in there for a couple minutes when Elana showed up. She ran over to me and gave me a hug. "Hey, Dan." She said cheerily. We walked up to the counter and made our orders. Elana ordered the most complicated coffee order ever. All I heard was, "Double shot of such-and-such,  low fat this, half a pump of that." The only thing I understood is that she wanted a large.

"Um, I'll just get a large caramel frappechino." I said. The guy taking our orders looked at me gratefully- probably glad that I had a simple order. He asked our names, and we took our seat at our usual table. Elana and I made small talk until our order was called. I went over to grab our drinks and sat back down. 

"So, Elana." I began. "I think we need to talk."

"Damn right we do." She said. "Why do you never spend time with me anymore? Or any of your friends, Dan?"

"It's nothing against you. I'm setting my priorities straight, and I, um, don't think this is working."

"Yeah, you're right. This isn't working. I understand that you want to do better in school, and I'm happy for you, but aren't your friends a priority? Aren't I a priority?"

I swallowed nervously. "Elana, I mean that we aren't working. I need to be completely focused, and I think that being in a relationship right now isn't helping. It's nothing against you, honest. You are a beautiful, wonderful girl and anyone would be lucky to be your boyfriend. I've just been reevaluating my life, and I think this is best."

Elana looked at me with fury in her eyes. "WHAT?!" she yelled. Everyone was looking at us. "What the hell is wrong with you, Dan? 'Reevaluating your life?' Are you serious?"

"Listen, Elana. Please, just listen. I've been changing, and I think it's only natural that some of my relationships change, as well."

"You know what?! You have been changing, and I don't like the new Dan anyways. So forget you, Daniel Howell. We're done!" She stood up and walked out, but thought better of it. She turned around, took the lid off of her drink- which she had only taken two sips out of- and dumped it on my head. Cup and all. Then she left.

I just sat and blinked, trying to process what had just happened. Someone ran over to me with a couple towels. "Rough break-up?" He said. I looked at him- he had incredibly green eyes and light brown hair. I nodded. "Yeah."

He handed me a towel and helped wipe up the coffee on the floor. I used the towel he gave me to attempt to get the coffee off of my head. The guy helping me took my towel when he was done. "I'm PJ," he said. "You're Dan, right?" I gave him a confused look, unsure of how he knew me. "I think we have the same history class. And my friend Phil is tutoring you." I just nodded.

"Hey, Chris!" PJ yelled to another boy behind the counter. "Could you get me a couple more towels?"

"Why can't you do it?" Chris yelled back.

"Because I'm on break, and I'm already spending it working!" PJ yelled back. He turned back to me. "Sorry about what happened; Elana's kind of a bitch. We dated in middle school before she got popular. I guess she hasn't changed much." 

I smiled. "Yeah. You know, I don't know why I dated her to begin with."

Chris came over and gave PJ more towels. He laughed. "Yeah, that's a good question. Anyways, this is Chris. Chris, this is Dan."

Chris gave me a nod. "Hello, Dan." I finished cleaning back and handed the towels back to Chris and PJ. "Thank you. I'm going to go now. Probably over to Phil's"

PJ smiled. "Okay. Tell Phil we say hi!" I told him that I would and I walked out. I pulled out my phone and texted Phil. Hey, I'm coming over. He responded almost immediately. I assume it didn't go well? I sighed. That would be putting it lightly I texted back. 

When I arrived at Phil's house he opened the door before I even got to the door. He just looked at me. "Dan, you smell and look like you just bathed in Starbucks coffee."

"That's a pretty accurate description of what happened."