"Charlotte Owens?" the woman asked, glancing up from her clipboard and raising her eyebrows over her thick-framed glasses.

Charlotte jumped up, trying to remember to appear calm. She glanced at James for moral support but he seemed as shocked as she was, his clouded eyes fixed on her, his worry hitting her like a train. She winced shaking her head to dislodge the discomfort and the temptation.

"I'll be back soon," she murmured.

He nodded, lost for words. She waited awkwardly, expecting some warning or encouragement but he seemed too confused to answer. She wanted to embrace him, tell him it would be okay, but she realised she had no idea if it would be okay, or if she even knew what she would be reassuring him about.

"Miss Owens?" the woman repeated just as Charlotte was going to press him for an answer.

Instead she straightened up and smiled at him, forcing an air of confidence, before following the woman from the room. She wondered if the other students, now watching her with pity and unease could taste her fear, like she could taste it. She hoped they were oblivious to the panic that was choking her. Play the game, play the game, she repeated again and again to herself, her own reassuring mantra, as she focused on putting one foot in front of the other and ignoring the dizzying sense of dread filling her.

The corridors they passed through were varying shades of taupe and smelled like cleaning agent and dust mingled together in a weird paradox. They twisted and turned, each area looking exactly the same as the last, muddling any chance Charlotte had of remembering the path they had come. They passed by uniform door after uniform door, their footsteps muffled by the worn brown carpet on the ground. Silence followed them, the buzz of the lighting overhead the only break in the monotonous hush of the windowless hallways.

The woman finally paused outside one of the doors and glanced back at her clipboard.

"Here we are – 206," she sighed, tapping the clipboard with her finger. "The meeting will last about thirty minutes today, but if you wish to leave earlier, just press the buzzer on the inside of the wall. Alright honey?" she exhaled.

Charlotte nodded.

"We will come and collect you and bring you back to the waiting room. Don't bother trying to find your own way back - this place is a maze and we can't risk losing you". She smiled at Charlotte kindly, her red lips spreading wide.

"Thank you," Charlotte managed to say, surprised at how steady she sounded. She hoped she appeared as calm as she sounded, though she doubted it. Inside her stomach was performing violent somersaults and her heart was beating so fast, it seemed to her to be humming.

"It will be over before you know it," she smiled encouragingly. "Just one step at a time".

Charlotte nodded again, as the woman reached forward and turned the door handle. Charlotte inhaled, and exhaled slowly as the door fell open.

The woman winked at her and Charlotte stepped forward, gritting her jaw and concealing her sweating hands behind her back.

The room was small and windowless, a continuation of the muted tones of the corridors. The only furniture inside were a table and a selection of uncomfortable looking chairs. Charlotte's gaze fell to the couple sitting at the table, their hands entwined tightly, their eyes wide and fearful.

"Mr and Mrs Owens, I would like to reintroduce you to your daughter, Charlotte," the woman smiled.

They stood up, the woman trembling, the man expressionless. Charlotte tried to smile, but couldn't find the courage, offering them a meagre half-grimace instead.