Part II : Chapter XXII

Start from the beginning

         "I understand." I replied, feeling my heart sink down into my stomach. I didn't expect Steve to promise me Loki's safety. I'm not that naive. What Loki started, we'll bring an end to. It's the right thing to do, but the strong overwhelming feeling of guilt inside me says otherwise. What am I really willing to do, if all falls apart and I am left to battle Loki alone?

          Two strong arms wrapped around me, enveloping me in a warm and comforting hug. I buried my head into the crook of his neck, taking a deep breath to prevent myself from crying.

          "You're strong. I know you can get through this," Steve assured as I pulled myself away from him.

           "Oh, please, don't overestimate me." I laughed half-heartedly.

           "I'm not." He stated honestly.

            "Astryd," Thor called quietly, gesturing for me to join him. Excusing myself from Steve, I made my way towards Thor. I find it ironic how I can confide more in Steve -who I've only known for weeks- more than in Thor -who is my brother. I may have known and confided in Thor when I was child, but that was then. This is now, and judging by how Loki changed, I couldn't take my chances with Thor.

                  "We need to talk. The three of us." Thor said, and I nodded. "Privately."

                "I'll see what I can do when we get there."

       He nodded, appreciatively and then gestured for me to sit next to Loki. I did and he shortly followed sitting on Loki's other side. Loki didn't even bother to acknowledge our presence. "Brother," Thor began.

         "I am not your brother." Loki hissed glaring at Thor, and then he turned to me as if to say, "you too."

         "We grew up together, we shared secrets, and we were there for each other. Does that not mean a thing to you now?" Thor questioned.

             I averted my gazes from them.

           "We've all changed." Loki said and I silently agreed with him. Thor is no longer the same little boy who day dreamed about having the throne; his dreams were on their way to coming true. Loki is no longer the same little boy who only wanted to be equal to Thor; he now thirsts for revenge and praise. I'm no longer the same little girl whose ambitions once were to be just like her older brothers; my ambitions are now to be normal and live a simple life (to which I'll probably never get, but I can't help but try).

            "Some for the better and some for the worse." I say softly.

            Loki scoffed, unpleased with my words. "You two pretend to be impeccable, to be the perfect royal Asgardian siblings, but underneath it all, you two are just like me...broken."

**