Part I : Chapter IV

Part One.Chapter Four.

Laufey's Vow.

          I’ve never visited the Fosters before. I’ve only heard about Harold Foster, who Erik told me was a good friend of his. On the plane, I decided not to sleep through it. Instead, I asked Erik a lot of questions about the Fosters, especially Jane. What was she like? What was her favorite color? What did she like to do?

      Erik smiled, chuckling to himself. “Don’t worry, she’ll like you. I know it.”

     I smiled sheepishly. I’ve probably annoyed him with all my questions. I didn’t ask any more questions after what. Erik is a man of his word, and if he says she’ll like me, then she will. She’d be the first kid to like me. All the other kids think of me as weird and exclude me. That’s why I’m homeschooled now. I had trouble adjusting to a public school. The kids would tease me and there was a day when I got fed up with it and something ignited on me. The lights went out that day due to an electricity problem, and after that, I was never seen in school again. I don’t know what exactly happened, but I had a feeling I had something to do with it.

      As soon as we landed, Erik hailed a cab. The cab ride wasn’t as long as I thought it’d be. Its speed slowed down as we reached a small, friendly looking neighborhood. A woman was outside tending to her garden, her dog sitting next to her and staring straight ahead as if he were a guard. Two little boys and their younger sister played together in their front yard as their mother watched after them, making sure they wouldn’t go out in the streets. Watching the three siblings flickered something inside my mind. I shuddered as I hit the one spot in my mind that blocked me from my memories.

     The cab finally stopped in front of a pale blue two-story house with a lovely side garden. Erik paid the taxi driver, and helped me out as I gazed at the house. I fixed the strap of my backpack and secured it on my shoulder, nervously as we walked forward. Erik knocked on the door, and it didn’t take long for someone to answer. A man who seemed to be around the same age as Erik opened the door and smiled widely at Erik. “Erik! It’s so good to see you!” His gaze then landed on me.

    "Hello," I greeted with a smile as I entered the Foster's home alongside Erik. I gripped his hand tightly and he returned the gesture reassuringly.

   “This is Astryd, my daughter.” Erik introduced as a woman came to view. She seemed to have come from the kitchen, because she wore an apron. She smiled at the two of us, wiping her hands on her apron before shaking hands with Erik.

   "It’s very nice to meet you!" Harold exclaimed smiling back down at me, and ruffling my hair.

    “She’s adorable!” Mrs. Foster said. She then turned around, facing the stairs as she gaze up. “Jane! Come down, we have visitors!”

    A girl, probably three or four years older than me began to step down the stairs. “Hey, Mr. Selvig!” She greeted, politely as she stopped at the last step. Her eyes then flashed to me, glowing with curiosity.

   “This is Astryd. She’s Erik’s daughter.” Harold explained carefully. I understood the tone he was using. He didn’t want Jane to question anything about the whole daughter thing. I knew that everybody knew that Erik never had a daughter, and I appreciated the fact, that they accepted me. Jane nodded, understanding and turned to me again, this time with a smile on her face. “Hey, you wanna go up to my room?”