Eight: (FLASHBACK) It's Not You, It's Me

I stood fidgeting in front of the mirror. I was extremely nervous. This was the day I had been waiting for, for almost a year now. Sweat pooled at my palms and I immediately wiped them off my jeans. I checked myself on the mirror to make sure I look okay.

My phone rang and I answered it.

"Hi baby."

"Hey. You ready?"

"I'm nervous. Grabe. Wag na lang kaya tayo tumuloy."

"Baby naman. We've waited for this for a year now. I'm dying to see you. Besides, I want to give my anniversary gift in advance. It's just me. I won't bite, promise. Ha ha ha!"

"Eh pano if you don't find me pretty? Pano kung mukha pala 'kong bruha in person? Paano kung ma disappoint ka lang?"

"Baby naman. I love you and you're perfect for me. Please trust me when I say you are and will always be the most beautiful thing in my world. To tell you honestly, I'm nervous too. But I'm more excited to finally see you, hold your hand and hug you. I love you so much baby. Nothing will change that. So please don't back out on me."

"Hay. Okay baby. I want to see you too. And I love you too. I'm ready to leave."

"Okay baby. I'll pick you up at Starbucks Pasay Road. Near the gas station. Just tell the conductor to drop you off there when you ride the bus. I wish you'd let me pick you up at home. I'll be able to meet your parents also."

"I'm not ready yet for that baby. I already explained why. Please understand. See you."

"I understand. It's just that I don't want you to get tired commuting. May motion sickness ka pa naman. You might get dizzy on the bus"

"No, it's okay baby. Promise, I'll be okay. It's just an hour and a half travel, without traffic hopefully. One bus ride lang naman. I'll see you. I have to go now. I love you!"

"OK. Text me as soon as you're at Magallanes so I'll know when you're near. I love you too. Bye"

I sighed.

Si Paolo ang pupuntahan ko. Boyfriend ko. Bakit ba ko kinakabahan? I know he loves me. I know he'll accept me come what may.

Nagpaalam na ko kina Mama at Papa. Alam naman nila kung saan ako pupunta, alam din nila kung sinong kasama ko. Sa dalas at dami ba naman ng pinapadala ni Pao sa kin na letters and gifts thru LBC, maitatanggi ko pa ba na boyfriend ko sya? They also knew that this will be the first time we would meet. They reminded me to be careful and to call them if there was a problem.

I was really lucky to have them as parents. They'd always supported me and trusted my decisions.

I waited for the bus. It didn't take long and I was now travelling on my way to Makati.

I tried calming myself because I was really nervous. I was looking forward to finally seeing him, I just didn't know what I would say when we're finally face to face.

Luckily, there was no traffic. I arrived early. I didn't text him even when the bus passed by Magallanes because I wanted to be the one waiting for him. I was also buying time to recover my composure and to fix myself.

When I knew I was ready, I dialed his number. He answered on the first ring.

"Baby? Hi! Are you near Magallanes now?"

"Baby, I'm already here."

"What? Why didn't you tell me agad? I don't want you to wait too long. I'll be there okay? Wait for me. Give me 10mins."

"It's okay baby. Sorry if I didn't inform you agad. I wanted to be here first. Kinakabahan pa din kasi ako. But I'm alright now. Take your time."

"Baby, why are you nervous? I told you it's just me. And I love you okay? Remove all your doubts that my feelings will change when I see you because it never will. I hope you'll still love me too after you see me in person finally."