One: Arrival

The pilot announced that the plane would land shortly. I immediately straightened my seat and took my headphones off.

I looked outside the window and the blue sky greeted me, as if welcoming me back.

A multitude of emotions rushed through me.

Excitement, nervousness, joy, longing, fear, nostalgia and pain.

How long had it been? Three, five, seven. Seven long years.

Ganun na pala katagal pero may kirot pa rin sa puso ko.

This was what I feared most in coming back. And yet, nandito pa rin ang antak at sakit. All my fears had come true. All the pain returned.

Tiniis ko ang pitong taon nang pag-iisa. Seven years of loneliness, of home sickness just so I could escape all this pain.

But now I really had no choice. I had to come home. Before everything became too late.

I just had to endure this. Maybe this was also the right time for me to seek answers to my endless questions. The right time to free myself from the past.

Kung hindi man, then it would still be worth it because I would get something truly precious from all this mess.

I sighed and started to put my seatbelt on. As the plane started to taxi down NAIA's runway, my thoughts went back to where it all started.