Chapter 14

"How the living fuck are we going to get back to the boat and make it out of here with limited fuel?" Niall stood, the rest of us scrambling to find supplies.
"We're not sailing," Ro smiled, "that'd take far too long."
"Then... How are we leaving?"
"We fly, of course." With a snap of her fingers, the floor caved in.
"Oh my god." I whispered, clutching onto Harry's arm once I determined we hadn't died.
"Seriously, hurry up, we don't have long." Taking off down the unlit tunnel, Ro gave us no choice but to follow closely. We were practically running, dust choking us, rocks sliding underneath our feet until we reached a dead end. "This is it. They'll spot us instantly. I've got a, ah, plane, if you would, waiting, but you better hold tight, and fast."
"Got it." We chorused, and Ro placed her hand flat on the wall. One second later, it crumbled, and we sprinted out, diving into a small vehicle as Ro vaulted into the cockpit. Just as gunfire echoed in my ears, we shot forwards, Liam only just managing to stop me from falling.
"How fast are we going?" Zayn yelled over the roaring wind.
"Fast enough to save the world." Ro replied decently calmly. "Z will inform Y that we are approaching, so we need to get in fast."
"You know how you said yesterday that we might or might not be captured, what was that about?" Harry finally spoke, having remained quiet all morning.
"Sacrifices may have to be made." Her voice was so soft we could barely hear her, yet we all fell silent.
**********
"There. Both Y's ship, and Caimbolso Island." Ro called to us sometime later. "Now, this may be a rocky landing, but then you've got to get to the school and warn them."
"What are you doing?" I asked curiously.
"What I came here to do. You're on your own once we land."
"Wait, Ro-"
"Louis, there's no other way. Focus on what you must do."
The land grew closer and closer, and all of us prepared to virtually crash-land. "Goodbye, Louis, and good luck!" Ro said, before we all leapt to the ground. My shoulder cracked painfully as I rolled through dirt, coming to an abrupt halt in a bush.
"Come on, we've got to go!" Niall had already healed my shoulder and we took off at a sprint towards the nearby school campus.
"Boys!" Mr. Banks suddenly arrived. "What on earth-"
"Sir, the school's about to be attacked." I cut him off.
"Very well." He said quietly. "Mr. Tomlinson, you better know exactly what you are doing. I will ensure the school remains safe."
"Sir, Y and Z are attacking. They're evil masterminds, responsible for the destruction of the Other Land." Liam filled in. "The school will need everything. They intend to experiment on mutants, to mutate them farther for a cure to the disease that destroyed the Other Land. It is beyond serious."
"I happen to know exactly what you're talking about." Mr. Banks said quietly. "After Finn, I knew this was coming, and was merely waiting for your return. I shall inform everyone. You need to prepare to commit sins, I'm afraid, but you must stay alive."
"You know?" Zayn asked incredulously.
"You're probably wondering how, but that's for another day. Hurry along." Turning on his heel, Mr. Banks swept off, leaving us standing shell-shocked.
"No time to waste!" I ran off, towards the headmaster's building. Students stared as we passed by, but I ignored them. Red flashing lights accompanied loud alarms, sending everyone into a frenzy. "What is that?"
"Attack alarm! We were posted on what to do. Upper years and any trainees fight, younger years go down to the bunkers." Harry explained as we hurried up the stairs to the headmaster's office.
"Won't we need everyone?"
"They'll start pulling the younger years out if they must, but by then the grads from the city should have arrived and they won't be needed. Trust me, with the teachers, grads and upper years, this school is beyond fierce." Liam murmured in my ear as I knocked.
"The headmaster left to organise the defence." A familiar voice said.
"Jake?"
"One and only. Look, idiots, you've got a world to save. We'll hold things off around here, alright?"
"Wait, about Finn-"
"Everyone knows what happened." Jake said meekly. "Huge explosion... Only Finn would pull that off."
"Jake, I'm sorry." I whispered.
"He did what he had to do, to make sure all of us were alive for now. Now it's your turn to act, Louis. Everyone's behind you, but you've got to go for it." He shrugged.
"I don't know what I'm supposed to do!" Even as I started to whine, Harry laced his fingers through mine, calming me. "Everyone's saying I've got to save the world, and I don't have the faintest idea on how to start."
"You've got us." Niall put in bluntly. "You're not doing it alone."
"Chop, chop, then!" Jake grinned cheekily before leaving, presumably to find his place in the defence.
"How many will fight them?" I asked as we left the building, heading over to where the defence was starting to organise.
"Once the grads from the city arrive, I'd say around three hundred. Twenty teachers or so, two hundred students, basically the top two years, and whoever from the city can make it." Zayn mumbled as a huge dome of light rose up around the campus. "Shields. They're our first line of defence."
"Attention, please!" The headmaster was standing at the front of the crowd of semi-organised defenders. "We are entering a time of peril. We must fight for this school, our friends, our family. We will take losses, yet we will succeed. I wish you all the best health and thank you immensely for your commitment."
"Now, we wait."
*****************************
It was the first shot that scared me the most.
The shields rippled lightly, but everyone was standing straighter. Adrenaline. Fear. Courage.
"Thank you, all. It is our time to fight." Headmaster spoke into the following silence, before the defenders spread out, the grads making an extra two lines of defence.
"Louis, come on. We've got to find Z, and he'll be kicking his heels at the back." Liam tugged on my arm, the five of us hurrying off to the edge of campus, where we could see the fields between us and the shore. A huge ship loomed in the far distance, but, much closer, there was an army of people facing the school. Our attackers.
Our enemies.
"Hurry, Boobear!" Harry whispered to me as we shot across the fields towards the ship, ducking between what little concealment the landscape offered us.
"Get down!" Niall suddenly called out and we hit the ground. Dirt coated my face. Gunshots rang through the air. "Everyone alive?"
"Come on, no time." Zayn scrambled to his feet faster than the rest of us and took off, Liam weaving around us with his super speed to try and hide as best as possible while remaining by our sides. The ship, looming over the waters, was still far away. "Should we split up?"
"Probably not." I panted, stopping behind a lone tree. "I'm exhausted."
"Lou..." Niall chewed worriedly on his nails.
"I haven't trained as long as you lot. Go ahead, I'll catch you up."
"As if. Here, shift." Liam held out his arms to me, and I turned into my little kitten, being effortlessly scooped up before he continued running. Everything blurred around us as they struggled towards the ocean, having no option but to sprint for their lives, gunshots occasionally being fired, though we were unaware as to who at. "It's not too much further!"
"But, there's-"
Gunshots rang.
We all ducked, and I shifted back. Automatically, I reached out, clasping my hands over the back of Harry's head. I needed to protect him. I hid my face in Zayn's shoulder.
"We'll be fine." Zayn said assuredly. "Fine, c'mon."
Again, he stood first, keeping low as we started to get up. More gunshots.
A pained scream.
"Zayn!"
The ship loomed in the distance.