Chapter 24: "Get Through Today"

A/N: I'm sorry this is such a short chapter!

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.

My brother's injuries consisted of a bent axle, minor damage to his processor that would heal with time, and the damage to his helm that made him become friends with that freak. How dare she address me in such a way?!

::Give her some credit. Legacy's not all bad. She looks weird, but she's got a good spark.:: My twin defended her.

"Doesn't matter. You're not hanging out with her anymore." I declare, giving Sideswipe our last cube. My entire stash of energon and speeders were stolen and left us broke. Kup and Sides found out about my extracurricular activities and you could say they were less than pleased. Neither approved, not that I expected them to. I just wanted them to have my back.

"I need to thank her at least. You should apologize too. What has she ever done to you?" He said angrily.

"She is a freak. She's not one of us." I growl. "And that's the end of this. You can go thank her and she can shove my apology up her aft." I seethe.

"Why are you so single minded? Y'know, the real world isn't like the pits. Not everyone is your enemy." Sides said, prying into my spark. I push him out and block the bond. He winced and I smacked him in the side of the head.

"What do you know? You haven't been fighting long enough to understand." I say, oblivious that tears had begun to well up in my optics.

"You've been fighting for too long." Sideswipe says sadly.

"Who's supposed to take care of you and Kup? From what I heard, you're getting kicked out of the learning center." I huff.

"Yeah... I'm sure we can find work somewhere. Both of us are more than able." Sideswipe says.

I aggressively wipe my optics and move close to my brother, letting our bond open again.

::I'm sorry I'm so mean to you.:: I tell him.

::It's okay bro.:: He soothes.

"It's not." I say. I know I'm rough on him when I shouldn't be. It's just hard to keep everything bottled up.

"Let's just get some rest." Sides offered. I nod and lean against my brother. We sat next to Kup who was snoring loudly, not bothered by our quarrel.

Smokescreen's P.O.V.

Legacy was still curled into my side. She had cried through the night and was jerking in her sleep every once in awhile.

It was awful. I couldn't do anything to help her. I know she wanted to feel the bond again, but if I allowed that, she'd be overwhelmed with all the pain from her spark and mine.

Every once in awhile, I'd start to feel the connection on bonds forming and I'd quickly squash them. She didn't need so much stress.

I was trying to think of things to do for her. She needed a new datapad. I could download all new books for her and some stuff off the hard drives back on Earth.

I know that's how she got the old pictures. I saw the cover photo on her datapad and it never failed to bring a tear to my optic.

Orion and Legacy were so happy in the photo. Unknowing what waited for them at home the next morning.

Legacy started crying again in her sleep and I shake her awake. Her azure eyes snap open and she looks at me with a warbling lip. She burst into sobs and I pulled her into a hug.

"Shhh. You're fine Little Spark." I soothe.

"I'm not fine." She cried into my audio receptor. "I saw my friends' dead bodies and I don't know what I'm supposed to do!" She sobbed.

"You're going to mourn them. You'll get through it." I rub her back.

"I still haven't gotten over Orion." Her voice cracked.

"I know baby." I say, tears coming to my eyes.

"What are we gonna do?" She looked at me with her sad optics. I didn't have an answer for her. I didn't know either.

"We just have to get through today and find a way to go on. We still have each other." I say, wiping her wet cheeks. She nods.

I stand up and I go to the TV. I grab a datapad and I hook it up, starting an old Earth movie we used to watch. The Goonies. We all used to watch this as a family and curl up on the couch with junk food. Those were the good old days.

A/N: I know that this is a sad chapter, especially after a holiday. I hope you all had a Happy Easter! 🐰