Chapter Twenty-One

Luna sat against a tree and looked up at a sliver of the moon peeking through the trees.
"I know you probably won't forgive me," she whispered, " but I need your guidance more than ever. I never appreciated it when you were alive, because I never thought I would have my own pack. I'm so sorry I lost my temper that day... you had no chance to defend yourself. I can't change it now. I don't expect you or my family to forgive me... especially not my brother. I only hope that he's living a happy life now."
She lowered her head. She closed her eyes and breathed in the earthy smell of the spring night.
"You were so kind to me, so wise. I was Alphas' little brat. I know you never called me that, but it's true. You were old and fragile, yet you were so fierce and full of life. I just wish that I wasn't the one who ended it all."
Her eyes gleamed suddenly and she looked back up at the glittering sky.
"I've changed, Moon. I've changed because of what I've done. I plan to make up for the mistakes I made by you and my family."
She stood up and looked around to make sure that no one had heard her. Nothing but the sound of her own breathing and the chirping of crickets met her ears. Only the forest beyond listened with silent reverence. Relieved, she glanced back up at the sky. She offered a gentle grin before walking off back towards the den.

She walked until she heard the faint snores of Misty and Timber nearby. A glittering pair of green eyes locked on hers in the darkness. She sensed the guilt that he felt, how sorry he was for angering her.
I love him so much. If only he knew how much.
"Luna..." he whispered.
She silenced him with a gesture towards the forest, farther away from their pack mates. He nodded once and followed after her in silence. After a few moments they both stopped. Luna turned to look him in the eyes.
"You don't have to apologize," she said. "Because I understand where that anger comes from. I don't regret interfering, though."
They stared at each other for a long time. Then Eclipse decided to break the silence.
"I feel like I should apologize, though. I never meant to upset you. I'm just afraid that Timber will overstep his boundaries. I like to be lenient, but I can only tolerate things to a certain point..."
Luna quieted him with a nuzzle.
"I understand. You don't have to explain it to me. I'm only afraid of you losing your temper and harming a fellow pack member."
"I would never..."
She silenced him again with a cold, knowing look.
"It's happened before. It can happen to anyone if they aren't cautious enough."
He watched her nervously, unsure of what to say. She shook her head and sighed.
"I just don't want you to make a huge mistake. We've already come so far. I'm not saying I won't make mistakes, either, but I figure you'll get after me. After all, we're here to support each other 'till the end," she said, nuzzling her head into his neck briefly.
He put his head on top of hers and sighed.
"I'm sorry... I don't want you to worry about me or the rest of the pack. I'll control myself."
She cocked an eyebrow at him teasingly.
"Easier said than done," she said.
He smirked and licked her cheek.
"Well, you know I can't control myself around you, but that's different. I'm a strong, patient wolf, and I can handle anything that comes my way," he declared, standing tall and puffing out his chest jokingly.
She shoved him with her paw, making him falter to the side. They both laughed as Luna ran further into the forest with Eclipse chasing after her.
He tackled her and she rolled
underneath him. She laughed even as he licked her cheek and nuzzled his head against hers. Then he looked down at her with a fiery, eager look, and she stopped laughing.
"No," she whispered before she rolled out from under him.
She stood up to face him.
"Not yet. We need to wait until this winter, otherwise our pups will be in danger from the cold."
Eclipse lowered his ears and nodded.
"Alright, I'll wait."
She offered him a kind grin and touched the edge of her snout with his affectionately. Then she padded back towards their den to sleep through the rest of the night.