Moment ruined - like totally!☑

Everything looked so delicious. There were cupcakes and chocolate covered strawberries and the biggest pizza I have ever seen!

"Wow! Kellan, this is.... Wow!"

"Jane gave some tips on what food you like so..."

"Yeah... no... the pizza and cupcakes are... well, they've just scored you some major points!"

He smiled at me and I felt like melting. How did my life do a complete one eighty in only a week's time? I mean last week I was terrified of Jackie and Beth and I had this ridiculous ache in my chest because of how Tristan acted – not that anything involving Tristan changed if the dull ache still lingering in my chest was anything to go by. I was lucky to have someone like Kellan, who made me forget about everything and help me to be a better, stronger person. And this was all about taking things slow and getting to know him better. I should give him a fair chance to explain everything that I still didn't understand and then we can see where things go from there.

"Are you really a gang leader?"

He took a deep breath before handing me an open can of Coke.

"Yes."

Gulp.

"How did you..." My voice trailed off, not sure if I really wanted to know the answer to all of my questions.

"Get in the gang?" He finished my sentence for me.

"Yeah."

"Well, it was about three years ago, and my parents were getting a divorce and me and mom had to live in the seedier part of the city. I stayed out at nights, met some bad people and one thing led to another and before I knew it, I was part of this gang who were dealing drugs. After a few months, I saw what it did to people, to families and I didn't want to be a part of it anymore. Despite having the so-called "Protection" and getting good money, I didn't want to buy and sell stuff that could hurt people anymore. Problem is, once you are in the gang, you are in it for life. You can't just decide one day, 'okay this was fun, see you guys around.' They don't take kindly to back stabbers and quitters."

I was listening so intently to his story that the pizza was forgotten... shocking, I know.