Chapter Forty-Nine

Start from the beginning

A knock sounded from the door. "Come in," I called.

My heart leapt when I saw Clarice. Her arms were both bandaged up, but it was hard to tell from the long sleeves from her dress.

She closed the door behind her and came to sit beside me on one of the stools. Her storm grey eyes lingered on my dress. She smiled. "You look nice."

I cleared my throat. "Thank you." Her dress was beautiful in its own right. It was gold, with tight long sleeves and a flowing skirt. Black swirls were embroidered into the sleeves and hem of the gown. "You look nice, too." She thanked me, and then a strange silence passed between us. Clarice was never silent. I scratched my cheek awkwardly. "Are you okay?"

She nodded. "Out there today..." She ran a hand over her mouth. In the process, she smudged lipstick over her chin.

"Um..."

"I know what you're going to say," she interrupted. "I'm inadequate. I can't help you if I continue like this. I thought I knew what it took to find the other Harbingers and help you defeat Therin, but all I did was get lost and nearly get myself killed." She took a deep breath. "In that time, you've been kidnapped, chased by a giant, burned by a unicorn, and nearly killed by a mad Drakain. And probably a lot of other things I don't know about," she added sullenly.

"You risked your life to protect me when Therin attacked us," I objected. I put a hand on her shoulder. "It's ok—"

She stood, brushing my hand off. The sudden movement must have hurt, because she flinched. As if regretting her weakness, she scowled. "It is not okay." Clarice pinched the bridge of her nose and closed her eyes. "I'm useless to you right now, Lannie." She met my gaze. "After the ceremony tonight, I'm leaving south to train in Drush. My father knows some dignitaries there that would be willing to take me in and give me a master."

I stared at her for several seconds. Drush was far south of Nor, away from Balua, which was our next destination. I tried to form words, but I couldn't. Frankly, I didn't know what to say. I understood her decision, but in my own selfishness, I wanted her to stay. I knew she felt weak, just as I did without Eden. That need to become stronger was inescapable.

"I already ran it by King Gavin," she continued. She tugged at a strand of her red hair. "He offered to take me. It seems he has business in Drush as well."

I nodded mutely. "If it makes you feel any better," I said, fumbling for words, "you've been the most...useful to me."

Clarice blinked. "Getting lost in the forest. Becoming separated from my guards in a fire. Running around waving daggers at a Drakain who was just toying with me." She grimaced. "That doesn't sound 'useful' to me."

So she recognized that Therin had been holding back when he fought her. I shook my head. "You never left my side," I said. "Not once. Not like Hadrian did. Not like Synnove did. You always stayed." I rose and embraced her. "Thank you."

"Well," she muttered in embarrassment against my shoulder, "you're welcome? Most of the time I didn't have a choice. It really wasn't that hard to stay in one place and—"

I pulled back. "You have lipstick smudged all over your face." I shrugged theatrically. "I tried to tell you, but—"

She screeched and ran to the mirror. Then she screamed again. "I look horrible! Why didn't you...?" Clarice threw her hands up and grabbed a hand towel. "Trust that I would have lipstick all over my face when I gave that speech. Ugh!"

"Speech?" I laughed. "You prepared that?"

The glare she sent my way made me bite my tongue. She wiped the remains of red from her chin and looked down at my vanity, grabbing a roll of lipstick and examining the color. "This is the wrong shade," she barked. She applied it anyway. "Who cares if I look like a moose in a ballroom?"