Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Gavin led me through the forest with Hadrian and Father seated on two centaurs that appeared by the king's call. I tried to ask the king questions, but no comprehensible words would come out of my mouth.

A light drizzle of rain started, and I grabbed for my sash, but remembered that I dropped it. Gavin glanced over at me, his cobalt blue eyes calculating. He removed his cloak and handed it to me.

"Your Majesty, I couldn't—" I began.

"Take it," was all he said before he stuffed it into my hands.

Standing there in the rain with the Arian king's cloak, I had too many questions. Instead of asking them, I slipped the warm cloak on and followed the king. His wavy hair was just like Titus's, but his trimmed beard and angular features contrasted with the prince entirely. The king wore common traveler's clothes, and they were nicely made just like my father's.

The silence that carried on was only interrupted by the pattering of rain on the leaves around us. Bioluminescent flowers that thrived from water opened up, showcasing deep blues and purples in their glowing petals. The centaurs behind me clopped soundlessly along the forest floor.

"So how is my son, Ms. Brackenbury?"

The suddenness of his question left me shocked for a moment. How did he know my name? He also mentioned Hadrian's name before. "Not so well," I admitted finally. "He came here with me to look for you."

Gavin nodded, as if this didn't surprise him in the least. "That's my son for you."

I rubbed my arm and glanced at the unfamiliar landscape around us—the Eremithian Forest was vast, so I was positive I'd never been here before. "Where have you been all this time?"

The king indicated to the forest with a swish of his arm. "Here."

I rolled my eyes. "That's a rather unsatisfactory answer, Your Majesty."

"You'll be satisfied when we reach camp."

"Camp?" I glanced behind me at the centaurs. "The centaur camp?"

"No," he replied. "My own camp."

I nodded as if that made sense. King Gavin came to Nor to make a peace treaty with King Abelard. Somehow, that backfired (maybe because Abelard was crazy), and Gavin decided to make a camp in the middle of a magical forest as the human ruler of a kingdom that enforced slavery of magical creatures. And these magical creature behind me somehow didn't know that and decided to follow orders from said king, ruler of a kingdom that enforced slavery.

It made perfect sense.

"Okay"—I moved in front of the king, forcing us all to come to a halt—"what's going on here exactly?" I mimicked his indication around us. "What is 'here'? Why did that dragon bring us to you? How did she know you?"

The rain plastered his hair to his face, but that didn't take away any of his intimidation. He skirted me and continued to walk. I didn't think he'd answer my question until he said, "Espoire is a lone dragon. She listens to no one." As I caught up to his brisk stride, he glanced at me from the corner of his eye. "Most of the time, anyway."

"Yes, she listened to me. I'm a Harbinger." I sighed. "But that's not what I'm asking—"

"She knew of my cause and brought you to me because she knew who you were. I've been looking for you and Hadrian for a long time, Ms. Brackenbury."

Confusion seemed to rain from the sky with the water. His cause? Looking for me? I settled with the less confusing question: "How do you know who I am?"