Chapter Twenty-Seven

As the guards marched us toward the city gates, I felt like my whole world was collapsing. Hundreds of people would see me and recognize me as a criminal. How would I ever bring peace to Etheia if my face was on every wanted poster in Nor?

"On the bright side," my father said over his shoulder, "I've heard they have good food in the prisons."

If my hands weren't shackled, I would have throttled him. "Now is not the time for jokes, Father."

"Why am I here?" Hadrian complained loudly next to me. "I am not with these people!"

Nose Leader didn't turn to look back. "Guilt by association," he replied, saying nothing more on the subject.

"Can you not see your lack of logic? This is an injustice." The gypsy's teeth were clenched. "I have nothing to do with them. I have a caravan to look after."

"Calm yourself," Synnove interjected. "Arguing will do you no good. And you're not the only one with a caravan to look after," she added. Her shackles clanked loudly against her golden bangles.

I narrowed my eyes. "So," I whispered, indicating to the jewelry, "did you steal those?"

Her gaze was vicious. "That is none of your concern."

"I'll take that as a yes." I was being cruel, but her thievery was half of the reason these guards chased us.

Synnove huffed and continued walking as a guard ushered her forward. I clutched at the edges of my sash as we entered the path that led to the middle gate of the northern wall. The cobblestone scratched my bare feet, making nasty red marks. How did Norian women walk around barefoot like this? It was insanity.

Before we could enter the gate, the entire group stopped so abruptly that I bumped into my father. A commotion started in the group. I tried to peer above the heads of the guards, but all I could see was a carriage. The door opened and two people exited. I noticed that the head of the leader disappeared in what seemed to be a bow.

"Your Highness, I—" Nose Leader began. He was interrupted by a voice tinged with displeasure.

"What is going on here?"

The group parted to let whatever royalty it was come through. My father and guards on either side of him blocked my vision once again, so I couldn't see around them.

Finally, I heaved an annoyed sigh and pushed past my father.

Butterflies erupted in my stomach when I saw Lucan and Clarice standing before us.

I was at a loss for words when Clarice yelled, "Lannie!" She rushed forward and grasped my hands. "You..." A sly grin crossed her beautiful face as she examined my immodest clothing. "You look...different."

My words immediately came back to me. "Thanks for noticing," I said dryly. I looked at Lucan, who seemed ruffled by the situation. "I don't suppose you can tell these guards to let me go. Because I can tell you right now that I've done absolutely nothing to warrant being arrested."

Lucan nodded and took on a commanding posture. He stood straighter and looked at the leader with the crooked nose. "Captain Muir, release them."

"But Prince Lucan," Muir objected, "your father ordered them—or, er, the girl—to be arrested. She is also wanted for conspiring with a thief." He jerked a thumb at Synnove.

A brief look of surprise crossed Lucan's face, and he seemed to consider it for a moment.

I didn't want to give him the idea that we had actually done something, so I said, "I am not a thief, for one," I said fervently, glancing at the dancer. "And we did nothing when your father ordered our—Mayra and Titus included—execution. Lucan, something is wrong with your father." I looked around at the group. My voice was hesitant when I said, "I think he's mad."