Chapter 18: Great House

Mentally patting himself on the back for choosing to dress up for what was supposed to be a simple eat-in lunch, Frank followed his love out to the lobby. The second time it looked even more impressive than the first.

No longer concerned with with the receptionist throwing him out, Frank could appreciate the interior design. Elegant and classy without appearing too over-the-top. Draperies hanging on the walls pushed it, though. Frank understood the tactic, covering the walls with fabric gave the illusion of a large window behind it, more of a homey look. However if people expected to find an office, if there was not instead of a picture window who did they think they were fooling?

Several upholstered chairs circled a large plush area rug with bold oriental designs. Between the chairs were antique end tables supporting drink coasters. They must offer refreshments while their clients waited.

Dean sat in one of the armchairs and directed Frank to the one closest. They were tilted towards each other so he and Dean could talk without twisting their heads far.

"Mister Smith, I was wondering about something." The receptionist Ginny leaned forward over her tall desk, overtly displaying her ample cleavage.

To his credit Dean pretended not to notice. "What, Ginny?"

"Is this why you and Missus Wilson broke up?" she asked. The girl appeared sincere and honestly curious. Not to mention a complete busybody. No wonder Dean had a hangup about busybodies around every corner.

Frank left the question to Dean, it was up to him whether he wanted to play along with Frank's joke earlier or not.

"Probably," Dean replied, lacing his hands together before hooking them over his crossed knee. "Afterward I felt like she'd been using me to shop for men. She was the last woman I dated." He glanced at Frank. "And that's the truth."

Turning his face toward the ceiling Frank stated as loud as he dared, "Thank God."

Two sets of chuckles approved his statement.

"Does this mean you'll let him in when he shows up?" Dean demanded of her.

Lowering his head Frank watched the interaction. Ginny shuffled the keyboard on her desk, her eyes dropping to the distraction. "Miss Jones would have to tell me it's all right."

"Then ask her," Dean insisted, a growl creeping into his voice.

"What kind of house are we going to see?" Frank asked in an attempt to redirect the conversation to safer topics. He already planned to always call ahead, no surprise visits at Dean's office. He did not want this silly girl's unemployment on his conscience, he had enough issues to deal with.

"It's fantastic." Dean's smile beamed at him. "You're going to love it. I've been trying to figure out how to take you over there anyway."

He snapped his fingers, head turning towards the receptionist. "Ginny? I'm going to need the Mercedes."

"Yes, Mister Smith." She busied herself with his request.

Far too soon the elevator doors opened and a couple walked into the lobby. He wore a gray business suit which probably cost more than Dean's and a bright red tie. The man's hair was neatly trimmed but none of the slick hair stuff so many of those guys used to appear uptown. If this gentleman put on normal clothes he would appear as another regular guy, though a handsome one. She wore a simple dress, white with an understated floral design, and white sandals. They might have money but they were not the type to flaunt it, Frank decided.

Dean leaped to his feet. "Mister and Missus Dunbar," he greeted enthusiastically, hands outstretched. Using both hands each time, he shook with them.