The Socialite [1] Immediate Friends

Chapter One

Immediate friends

As the wind came gusting through the car window it blew Nora s hair all over her face, she tried to push it back but it was to no avail. As the sun warmed her face, she closed her eyes, underneath her eyelids she could see the shadows moving over her as the sun slipped in and out behind the branches. She re-opened eyes and looked down at her little pale arms, peering out the car window she caught faint glimpses of Lake Wylie in the distance. The car started to shake as it moved from the road to gravel. Nora continued to look out of the window noticing the trees as they speed by the window.

"Nora? Edmund Greenhill, Nora's father, a thin man, with hollow cheeks, an olive complexion, deep jade eyes, black hair and moustache- looked over shoulder to Nora with a smile on his face.

Ethel, Nora's mother, turned back in her seat to smile at her daughter. She was an equally thin women, with full cheeks a pale complexion, green eyes and ginger hair,

Nora differed from her parents in looks, she wasn't thin, she had a rounded face, a complexion like her mother, long chocolate brown curls-that shone with a hint of gold in the sun light, and light blue eyes with dark blue rings around the irises

"Can you tell us some of the trees we are going past?" his question directed out of his window, speaking with confidence, he knew that Nora would know the answer.

Edmund and Ethel took Nora's education very seriously, starting to tutor her at the age of four. Nora looked out the window and studied the trees, time passed but she eventually answered.

"Basswood"- Nora spoke with the same confidence as her father - "Georgia oak, Spruce pine and Hemlock?" she let out a deep breath.

Her father leaned back over his seat, smiled then turned to face the road again.

"Very good!!"- He praised her-"though you forgot sourwood" he added smugly, Nora blushed sheepishly and looked down at her flowery dress.

The Rolls Royce silver ghost slowed down on the gravel, the crackling under the tires continued, breaking through the last of the trees and the lake came into view again permanently this time, shortly followed buy the Greenhill's holiday house.

This house had been used every summer since Nora was born, in 1918, it was all part of her child hood, she distinctly remembered the white weatherboard house, with its blue windows, shingle roof and large porch that stretched out in front of it toward the lake.

The large spruce pine with its many leafy branches and swing that hung from a high supported branch, stood in front of the house.

The car rolled to a slow stop, Edmund cut the ignition and eagerly Nora clicked the handle, springing lightly from the car, her feet sunk a little into the sand ground. Nora looked around; the surroundings had changed not much in the past year. But Nora was now six, and she noticed more.

The ground, a compilation of sand, gravel, leaves and driftwood fragments, running up to met the front steps of the house, which then stretched down to met with the aqua-marine of the lake. A long ray of sunlight sparkled off the waters surface, along the shoreline was a small jetty; tied to a post was a wooden boat, with its ores resting in it, which was bobbing up and down on ripples created by the light breeze.

In the far distance were the towering treetops of the rangers, the lush greenery of the encroaching forest encircled the house and beach.

It smelt the same, it sounded the same.

The air was filled with the scent of lake water, tree sap, wild daisies, and even the smell of tobacco, off her fathers pipe, was beginning to join the mix in the air.