Our Everlasting Melody (19)

Start from the beginning

When both Derrick and Leslie arrived, separately, they didn't even look at each other. I would catch both of them steal glances, but I knew they weren't about to interact. I was just glad that they both decided to show up.

I watched all my friends play some type of game while I stood back, leaning against the wall a little ways away from them. I didn't really feel like joining in on all the fun. I didn't even notice right away when Thomas made his way up to me.

"Are you ever going to talk to Jane?" he asked me.

I let out a sigh. "I will, Thomas," I assured, even though I had no idea when that will be. "But I can't right now. I have a lot of other things I have to deal with."

His gaze followed mine, and it landed on Mona and Blake. "Are you really worried about the two of them?"

I scowled. "You can tell, huh?"

"Well, you make it kind of obvious." He rolled his eyes and leaned up against the wall next to me. "I'm surprised no one else noticed that you're standing over here glaring at the two of them."

I bit the inside of my cheek and continued to stare at my boyfriend and the girl that just couldn't seem to leave him alone. She was giggling just like she always was, and even Blake was smiling at her. It really annoyed me.

"Thomas, you saw the two of them when they were together," I gulped, knowing that he was the person I needed to go to for information. "Just how close were they? Blake makes it sound like it was nothing, but then Mona makes it sound like it was a really big deal."

The face Thomas was making did not make me feel any better. I let out a shaky breath.

"I think Blake is either lying to you so you don't get upset, or he's an idiot and didn't see how things were between them," Thomas informed me honestly, and my heart plunged right into my stomach. He then looked down at his feet. "Of course, he had to deal with a lot because of his condition, so maybe he just chose not to acknowledge it."

"Do you think they were... like, in love?" I had to ask it. If Blake didn't see how close they had been when Thomas, and outsider, did... I couldn't help but feel nervous.

Thomas was still making that face, and it didn't make me feel any better. "Honestly? I couldn't really tell when it came to Blake. I knew he liked her a lot, but again, he was dealing with a lot so I'm not sure he even thought about it. But Mona... I mean, I don't know her all that well, but it sure seemed like she was in love with him. She was always there for him and supported him even after we found out about his schizophrenia."

I was always there for Blake, and I supported him even after I found out he had schizophrenia. But Mona... she had been with him since before he was even diagnosed. She was probably with him when he found out. And I wasn't.

I just stood there. I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to say. I didn't want to hear any of this, even though I knew I had to. Mona was an even bigger threat than I thought.

"Thomas!" Jane suddenly called out, waving her toward him. "Come here, will you?"

Thomas shot me a frown before making his way over to Jane. He was smiling at her, and I could tell he really liked her a lot. I really was going to have to talk to her soon, unless Thomas finally decided to just talk to her himself.

I continued to watch my friends from the wall as I thought. I didn't know what I was supposed to do about Mona, considering Blake wouldn't believe anything I said about her. So I was completely stuck.

"I invited Carrie," Blake informed me as he came up and leaned against the wall beside me, taking the spot his brother had been in. "I knew she'd be mad if I had a birthday party without her."