3

after i got out of the hospital, i went to the patch of grass that was outside jaehyun's hospital room. i looked around in the tall grass for the piece of paper he threw out.
found it.
i opened the piece of paper and it read,
"i wish for real french fries".
i chuckled to myself.
"silly boy" but i couldn't hide the smile on my face.
--------------
the next day when i visited jaehyun again, i saw him happily eating his real fries.
i smiled.
"so i see your wish came true," i chuckled at him.
he nodded with his mouth full.
"you know, it's almost 11:11 again, you can make another wish and repeat the steps"
and so he did.

for the next few days, we just went on like this. he would write a wish at 11:11 and throw it out the window. i would collect the paper at night and grant him his wishes. it became such a routine that i didn't have to remind jaehyun to write his wishes anymore. i just waited outside his hospital room window and waited for the piece of paper to land in my palms. he wished for a lot of things, simple things, such as oreos, the newest comic book, a superhero lunchbox, never something pricey. but even though they weren't the greatest gifts in the world, he never complained. he was always content with his wish and never wished for something more expensive. he was always appreciative and that was what i admired most about him.