S O L K N I G H T

Start from the beginning

I took the photo and folded it up and stuffed it into my pocket and picked her up. She was as light as a feather from the first time I had carried her.

Once we made it back, I had made sure no one was to bother us. I sat next to her and looked down at her sleeping figure.

I was frustrated. Irritated.

I moved away from her and decided to take a cold shower to cool myself down. I needed a leveled head and thinking about her is doing me no good.

I stayed under the cold for who knows how long and when I had dried myself and exited, she was still sound asleep.

I changed into a pair of sweatpants and sat on the chair at my desk. I picked up the phone and dialed in the number. After three rings, the pup answered. "Hello?"

"You sound pathetic," I scoffed.

"I could say the same about you, Sol. What do I owe you for you to be calling me?" He sneered right back.

I clenched my jaw. "Information about my mate of course. I want her profile sent over now. And make sure everything is in there or you'll be hearing from me and the Elders of the Council."

"What makes you-"

I hung up in anger and glared at the phone. "Damn disrespectful pup," I grumbled out.

I went upon my other paperwork and didn't even know how late it was until the ping on my laptop went off.

I looked at the screen and opened up the file. I carefully read through the profile. "Was accepted into the pack at the age of seven. Found unconscious just at the barrier of the territory covered in dirt and scratch marks upon her back," I quietly read.

I looked over to her then back to the screen. I scrunched up my face confused. Everything was practically blank. It was as if she didn't exist at all.

Madeline stirred in bed and soon growled. I stood up quickly to walk over to her, only for her to jump out of bed and shift.

Her wolf was...breathtakingly beautiful.

She snarled menacingly and shook her head as if she was dizzy. They barked loudly and moved off the bed, still keeping their target on me. "Madeline," I called out as I moved towards her.

Their eyes widen in surprise but when I got closer, they snapped their jaws at me.

This was the first time I had ever encountered someone shifting when they were sleeping. It must have been some dream to make her angry enough to shift and want to go on a killing spree.

"Mate," I said loudly with a stronger tone to get their attention.

The color in their eyes flickered so I knew Madeline was at least trying to get free.

They dropped their body low as I continued my way towards them. "Calm down. It's okay. It was all a dream," I said with each step I took.

They whimpered and growled at the same time. Confusion was clear in their eyes. "Madeline, it's okay. You're safe now. I promise," I softly said as I finally reached them. I placed my hand over their forehead and slid it up over their head and down to their chin. "It was a dream."

They completely relaxed and soon shifted back. She went limp in my arms and cried, clutching my arm. "They killed her," she whimpered out in a ghostly whisper. "Why did they kill her?"

I brought her closer as she buried herself in my embrace. Her little form shook as I grabbed the blanket off the bed and wrapped her up. I held her tighter as she continued to cry.