Chapter 3

You were lying on the bed in the chambers you shared with Loki, your head resting against his chest. He was holding a book in one hand, reading silently, while he used his other one to gently play with your hair. Your breathing was slow as it followed the pattern of the god's heartbeat. You felt safe in this moment, in his strong, cold arms. You wanted it to last forever, and not have to leave his embrace anymore. Sadly, you were still human, and you had pitiful needs.

The sun was setting behind the Asgardian city; another tiring day had come to an end, and you reviewed the battle you had won with Loki against Thor and the others. Your head was slightly dizzy from using so much magic earlier, and you had to "recharge" before you could use it again. Frigga was the one who had granted you these powers, but they came with strict conditions: one, that you ONLY use them within the walls of Asgard, unless you are fighting in a battle; two, that when outside of the arena, you never use them to do harm to others; and three, that you return your powers to her when you have no use for them.

And so you had, only an hour earlier, returned your magic to the queen. She held onto them herself, and would give them back when you requested. She trusted you to be responsible with them, and you never betrayed that trust. You knew that your powers were dangerous when used recklessly, and you had no intention to risk hurting anyone around you. So here you were, tired from transferring the magic within you, resting peacefully in the arms of your lover.

You were vulnerable at times like these, and Loki wouldn't let you out of his sight. Pulling magic from one person to another was like tearing the breath out of the one giving it up. After returning your gift to Frigga, you were instantly weary, dizzy, sore, and weak. Loki didn't like this, as many times before, you had fallen and hurt yourself, or something similar to this. You could hardly even respond to him for an hour or so after the transfer. Of course, this weakness wouldn't last for long, and would fade the more you moved the power in and out of you.

You buried your face closer to his chest. "What are you reading?" you whispered.

He paused for a few seconds before answering "Gilgamesh."

You smiled. "I like that one." you said, and he hummed in response.

You were lost in the thought of the book, remembering your favorite parts, when Loki suddenly snapped the book shut. You jumped at the harsh sound, making Loki tighten his embrace on you.

Attempting to slowly sit up, you viewed his eyes. They were attentive, alert, concerned. "What is it?"

He continued to stare ahead into space, leaving you clueless as to what was going on. Finally, he began to move, and placed you gently upright on the bed. His diamond eyes bore through your frightful ones.

"We need to go. Something's wrong." he rubbed the sides of your arms. "Can you walk yet?"

You wanted to say yes, so that you wouldn't slow him down, but you knew that was a lie. You could hardly sit straight. You shook your head.