Today's The Day

The alarm began ringing from the side of the bed causing Connie to groan as Jacob lifted up sleepily to turn it off. "Why'd you have to be the boss?" Connie laughed groggily as she slowly opened her eyes. "Because you'd miss the office space if I wasn't!"

Jacob couldn't help but smile as Connie sat up. The silk night dress she had on clung to every part of her body, stretching across her large bump. "How are you so beautiful?" "Mmm 5am and 8 months pregnant, I'm sure beautiful is not the word."

Connie leant against the head of the bed as she placed her hands to her stomach. She rubbed them along the sides closing her eyes. "You okay sweet cheeks?" Jacob sat up looking a little worried. Connie opened her eyes again smiling. "Yeah I'm fine, treating me like a punch bag already today." Jacob smiled again as he leant forwards and kissed Connie.

After arguing about getting up for half an hour Connie was soon in the shower while Jacob made some breakfast. Grace had stayed at a friends house so it was just the two of them. Connie pressed her hands against the wall of the shower as she took some deep breaths. She thought the pains yesterday in her office had been strange but these were something else.

Connie closed her eyes trying to stay calm and eventually she was able to move again. She knew this baby was coming but she also knew she was better off being in the hospital when it did happen.

Within twenty minutes Connie was dried and dressed not wasting anytime. Despite not wanting to make Jacob think something was going on she'd decided against her heels. "This is an interesting sight sweet cheeks..." Jacob smiled from behind Connie as he ran his eyes across the tight blue scrubs she wore.

"Well everything else is just uncomfortable right now and I'm not in the mood today..." Jacob turned her around to face him and looked into her eyes. "We can stay-" "No, Jacob we need to be in today okay? But I promise I'll look at finishing work this week." The statement took him by surprise as Connie had been adamant she wasn't taking any maternity leave.

"Really?" Connie smiled up at him wrapping her arms around his waist. "Yeah, maybe I'll even sign you off for a while." Jacob's smile only grew as he placed a kiss to her lips. The only reason Connie made that promise was because she knew she wouldn't be leaving the hospital today in the same way she was entering it.

"Now please get dressed we need to go in 5 minutes." Jacob kissed her once more before doing as she said.

Before leaving the bedroom Connie grabbed the bag from beside her bed which she had packed for when the time came.

Connie made her way downstairs and grabbed her phone to text Zoe.
Meet me outside the ED in 10, think I'm going to need you. Oh and don't make a big deal out of this.

She shoved her phone into her bag just as Jacob emerged. "Ready?" "When you are sweet cheeks." He smiled as she wandered towards the door, his eyes falling to her feet. "Wow, even giving the heels a miss-" "What can I say I'm a changed woman." She rolled her eyes as he smirked at her sarcasm.

"Can you drive today, I don't really feel up for it." Jacob grabbed his own keys and closed the door behind him. "I wish you'd wake up this way more often-" "Don't get used to it muscles."

They arrived at the hospital pretty quickly after that. Connie had tried not to show any pain through the drive and Jacob hadn't seemed to pick up on anything which she was thankful of.

Connie got out of the car and smiled across at Zoe who was standing outside with her phone in her hand. "Look you get inside I need to speak to Zoe first." Jacob nodded as he met her at the passenger side door. "Okay sweet cheeks, I'll come and find you on my break-" "Alright I love you." He kissed her quickly before wandering away.

Once Jacob had got to the entrance of the ED Zoe walked over to Connie realising she wasn't moving herself. "Wha-" "Zoe I'm in labour and I highly doubt that I'm going to make it very far today." Zoe's eyes widened slightly before standing beside Connie. "Do you think you can get to your office?" "I've got this far, just don't be too far behind me."

Connie began walking to her office with Zoe beside her. Alicia glanced up from reception smiling at Connie but she didn't seem to notice her.

As soon as she was inside her office Connie leant her hands against her desk. Zoe rushed inside and pushed the door closed before standing next to Connie. "Try and stay calm okay?" "Calm!? How can I stay bloody calm Zoe!" Connie took a few deep breaths as another pain ran down her back.

There was a knock at the door before Charlie came inside. "Don't- too late." Charlie noticed Connie who was still leaning against the desk in pain. "Zoe is she?" She just nodded as Charlie closed the door behind him.

He walked around to face Connie who just looked up at him. "You really know how to make things difficult don't you?" Connie laughed slightly before it turned into a small cry. "Alright let's sit you down." Charlie took her hand and stood her up but she didn't move. "Charlie I think my waters just broke..."