Pushing Boundaries

Connie had decided on a simple white dress. It fit perfectly and showed everything off without over doing it. She quickly bundled her hair up into a messy bun before checking her make-up one last time.

She was the first to arrive at the restaurant so stood herself by the bar where everyone would see her. After about five minutes Zoe walked through the door smiling towards Connie. "Hey, I've just seen a few of the others wandering down so shouldn't be too long." Connie nodded before getting them both a drink as they walked through the door into the warm.

"Hey! Sorry we took so long, someone got us lost-" "Okay less of the blame game, hey?" Alicia smiled towards Iain before she stepped forwards and hugged Connie who accepted it with open arms. Jacob was last to arrive which didn't really surprise her but what he did surprised her.

"Sorry I'm late sweet cheeks, but figured I couldn't turn up without getting something to say thanks for dinner." He handed over a small bunch of white and pink flowers to a shocked Connie before placing a kiss on her cheek and moving away again. She was unsure of how to react, what to say. "You didn't have to do that..." She took them from him as Alicia grinned her way.

It was quiet for a few moments before Zoe spoke. "Right where's this table then?" Connie seemed to regain herself and walked everyone through the restaurant. She stopped towards the back of the room alongside a window which stretched the whole wall looking out over the river. "You definitely know the right people to get a table like this!" Connie smiled as they all began to sit down.

Rita and Iain sat beside one another which didn't go unnoticed by everyone else, followed by Lily, Ethan, Zoe, Alicia, Robyn and Lofty. Connie sat down knowing Jacob would sit next to her so she didn't make any fuss over it.

Connie ordered everyone's drinks before they decided what to eat. They all sat talking and laughing together like they never had before. It was a strange experience for the clinical lead and she felt a little uneasy being so relaxed with her staff. What surprised her was how at ease they all were with her being there. It seemed like she really could have the two sides of her life, maybe she should relax more.

The night moved on slowly, and Jacob struggled to move his eyes from Connie all night. "You really do look beautiful tonight Mrs B... What did I say something wrong?" Jacob panicked slightly as he saw her expression. "No, sorry it's just been a while since anyone said that to me-" "Well it shouldn't have been. You always look pretty good in my eyes." He winked causing her to blush slightly as she reached for her glass having another drink. Jacob had noticed and smiled at how he was managing to make her feel like this, even if she wouldn't admit it out loud.

"Come on, one game!" By this point everyone had had a few drinks but were still sober enough to make a conscious decision. "Come on Mrs Beauchamp, you have to-" "Fine but I am not kissing anyone and nobody is coming within any distance of me, got it?" Robyn nodded quickly before she started it all off. "Rita, truth or dare?"

With a roll of her eyes she gave the only answer she was ever willing to give during this game. "Truth-" "Are you sleeping with Iain?" Her eyes widened as he laughed beside her. Robyn smirked already knowing the answer after having had the awkward conversation with Iain over the mis-sent text message. Rita glared at him before signing. "Fine. Yes I'm sleeping with him, anything else you want to know while you're at it?" "Well-" "I was being sarcastic Robyn."

The game carried on before falling to Alicia. "Truth, I'm not stupid after what you just made Lofty do!" Zoe smiled before asking a question. "Is there anyone in the ED you've got your eye on?" Alicia shook her head laughing. "No way, maybe at one point because I thought they looked soooo good but they were clearly meant for someone else." She received several raised eyebrows before she moved it on. "Anyway... Mrs Beauchamp truth or dare." Connie had managed to keep up with the game so far and got away with not having to reveal anything she didn't want to about herself. "Truth-" "Seeing as you won't kiss anyone, who are the top three fittest doctors, nurses, paramedics whatever in the ED?"

They watched as Connie considered it before muttering. "I am never going to live this down... They'd have to be Cal, Iain and Jacob, in what order I'll leave to you-" "Not fair!" "You didn't say I had to rank them." Iain was looking smug with himself while Jacob was smirking at Connie. "Jacob truth or dare-" "Dare." Connie's eyes fell to his as someone asked a question. "Kiss the prettiest woman in the room!" Both Connie and Jacob looked down the table at Alicia who was smiling after offering the dare to Jacob. "Okay, well seeing as the obvious choice is out of the question due to ruling herself out of this if it were to come up I'll have to go with my back up won't I?"

Everyone watched as Jacob jumped up and kissed Alicia's cheek. "And just for the record she's like my little sister." Alicia smiled as Jacob returned to his seat beside a content looking Connie who was still too caught up in his comments before the kiss.

As the evening came to a close everyone began leaving the restaurant. "Thank you for tonight it was amazing." Alicia hugged Connie before saying bye to Jacob and leaving with Iain, Rita and Zoe. Everyone had left leaving Connie standing with Jacob as she walked to her car.

"I had a wonderful night tonight, thank you for asking me along sweet cheeks." Connie didn't stop the smile from appearing on her face this time and he noticed. As she stopped beside her car he decided it was now or never. Jacob carefully leant forward and placed his lips on hers remembering how good it felt the first time they'd done this.

Connie kissed him back gently feeling his hands on her hips. She let her hand move around his shoulders as he deepened the kiss. Connie was sad when he pulled away from her smiling. "Thank you again for a brilliant night Mrs B." She smiled as he kissed her lips again quickly. He dropped his hands stepping backwards. "Good night Mrs Beauchamp." Connie smiled as he started to walk away "Good night Staff Nurse Masters..." She smiled faintly before getting into her car and driving away, thoughts of Jacob completely consuming her mind.