Selfish

A/n: what is this?? a new update after seven months?? what is this foreign concept?? HoweVER shall we process this???? I actually wrote this quite a while ago but I've been kinda clinging onto it uncertainly because I'm not incredibly confident with my ability to write in third person, this is the first thing I've ever completed in that tense and it's a little nerve-wracking. Warning in advance for cliche trope, a lot of run-on sentences and awkward instances where it just says 'he' and it's difficult to decipher which 'he' I'm referring to.

Genre: Angst, fluff if u squint

Word Count: 11.5k

Summary: Dan and Phil are at the wedding they've spent months planning, so why are there still so many things left unresolved between them?

Warnings (don't read if u don't want spoilers): none really except some very mild cheating, but if that bothers u intensely maybe skip out on this rodeo, cowboy

*third person, AU*

Dan smiled kindly as the familiar woman rushed through her list of things that still needed to be finished, very obviously panicking as the window of time left to do so grew shorter and shorter. Vaguely, he wondered why she was wasting her time stood there talking to him instead of completing said tasks, but he didn't dare to question it.

Ever since she'd been hired to plan this wedding a few months ago, he'd come to know her as an extremely outspoken woman. He wouldn't call it 'bossy' per se, but she had a schedule and if anything happened to interfere with it, she did whatever it took to get things back on track. More often than not, that involved stepping all over the people that had messed with her plan in the first place, and he didn't want to be on the receiving end of that treatment, so generally he just passively went along with anything she had to say.

However, that said, he'd be extremely thankful when all of this was finally over and he'd never have to schedule wedding planning events into his calendar again. Over these past few months Dan had tried more types of cake, more styles of tuxedo, and more possible speech options than any human normally did over the course of years. The things he did for Phil.

Honestly, he couldn't care less about any of it, not even what the cake tasted like (as long as it was edible), but Phil was entirely invested and insistent that everything had to be perfect. Come to think of it, even cheerful go-with-the-flow Phil Lester had taken on some 'bossy' elements recently, these past few weeks especially. Dan chose not to worry about it too much though, writing it off as standard wedding jitters getting to him and messing with his head. He was confident that the change he saw in Phil would not be a permanent one.

Or, at least, he liked to pretend he was confident, because the alternative was so nerve-wracking he'd be up for days on end worrying otherwise. He didn't want Phil to stay like this, he wanted him to go back to the laidback pleasant type of guy he normally was, seeing him so stressed lately had pained Dan to no end. That's why he went along without protest whenever anyone asked him to help out, regardless of what the chore was, Phil deserved the wedding he'd always wanted after putting so much of his time and well-being into manifesting it. Dan was acute to help make sure he got it, too.

So, rather than ducking for cover the second he'd seen the wayward wedding planner barreling toward him with bugged-out distressed eyes, he'd stood his ground and let her rant to her heart's content. Hell, he even offered to help her out with some of the issues, despite knowing it wasn't really his task and he had much more important things to be doing right now.

And that's how Dan ended up enroute to Phil's dressing room, to deliver the infamous bow-tie that belonged to great grandpappy Lester (this accessory had claimed the grand title of 'something old' for the day). How Phil had managed to forget it after all of the foreboding warnings he'd been given about forgetting things on the big day, was beyond comprehension, but Dan would be lying if he didn't say he found it mildly amusing. The man's absentmindedness knew no limits, but that was just one of the many traits that made him all the more endearing. It was cute, almost.