Chapter 3

Everyone heard Zane's shouting. Jay was sure of it.

Jay had been walking to the Nindroid's room to check on him. He had seemed strangely distant at dinner, and had barely spoken a word. But when he heard talking inside, his curious side denied him the ability to leave and he pressed his ear against the door. It sounded like Zane was talking to himself, but anyone who knew of the other droid that lived inside that body would know that Zane was talking to P.I.X.A.L., his unofficial girlfriend.

Zane was just mumbling to himself, er, to P.I.X.A.L. Jay almost lost interest and walked away, but them the screaming started.

The worried Blue Ninja stared at the door, not moving, and he was vaguely aware of other doors opening. All his attention was focused on Zane's voice.

"But I can't, P.I.X.A.L.! Every time Lloyd leaves, the responsibility as leader automatically goes to me. I don't know why, but it does. And I can't trust myself enough to keep all of them safe! They depend on me in those times! And if I make the wrong choice, make the wrong move, they'll all pay for it! I can't do it anymore!"

Jay's stomach dropped to the floor. How had none of them noticed Zane's torment? He jumped back when he heard something hit the floor. Zane was speaking again, but he couldn't comprehend it. Then he heard a quiet sobbing. Jay felt his heart crack. Zane was crying because he thought he couldn't protect them. He felt it was is sole responsibility to do so when Lloyd left. And it had shattered him.

The Blue Ninja had a strong suspicion that if P.I.X.A.L. wasn't also living in Zane's head that the robot would've given up long ago. Jay shuddered at the thought. They'd already lost the Ice Ninja once, he didn't want to again, and it be their own fault.

Moving as if in a trance, Jay headed back to his room. Closing the door behind him, he flopped onto his bed. A minute later, his pillow was soaked through as Jay cried for Zane.