Chapter 5

For the past two hours I've been sitting in the kitchen, trying to trace the number of the mysterious guy only to reach a dead end. Our meeting was set to midnight at the abandoned warehouse near the house and I didn't know what to expect from it, was I suppose to believe his words or be ready for an attack tonight ? I honestly didn't know what to do.

I banged my head against the white wooden table in the kitchen, I needed a break for a minute to breath, something I was incapable of doing for two years now. Barely ten seconds past before a my phone rang. I groaned in annoyance before answering it.

"Miss Widgeway, good afternoon I apologize for the inconvenience but it's an urgent matter" I recognized that voice instantly. That was Archer, the adviser of my father. After my father died, all of his companies were signed under my name, as his will indicated. Being a 17 year old teenager still didn't give me the right to own them and I didn't want it either way, it was too soon, too much responsibilities. However, when i turned eighteen there was no escape from it so I found myself a temporary solution which wasn't holding on strong. I had called Archer, the night my dad's council was pushing the company towards me, and asked him to step up and represent me, it didn't mean he was the owner.

"What's the matter Archer ?" I asked with a sigh, today was looking out to be a bad one for me. First the letter, second the tantrum, third the call, fourth Archer and fifth to come was the meeting at midnight.

"I can't hold the council off any longer Emma, they need someone at the head of the company. I can't make any more excuses, it's been two years since the company had an owner or a name...it's been nameless for two years, they need someone" he said, i could feel the desperation in his voice, I didn't blame him I put most of my work on his shoulder to take care of.

"Can't you just tell them that I need more time" I rubbed my forehead as I tried to think of another excuse. "You've been using this excuse for two years now, it won't work on them anymore. You're nineteen, you are no longer a minor according to the law and you've been gaining your expenses from the company, the will of your dad can only extend for so long"

"What do you mean by that ?"

"The council has come to a decision, if I don't give them a clear answer on where you stand concerning the company, in the next twenty-four hours, they will sell the company's ownership and reject your ownership later on if you ever ask for it. And you will no longer have an annuel gain from the company" My heart literally dropped at the news, my dad's company was the only thing keeping me and Vanessa going. It provided us with what we needed and more, without it we would have to live off for weeks with the money I was able to save up in case of emergencies and I'd have to find a job but with my school dropout, no one would be willing to hire me, at least not one with a good salary.

"Can they even do that ?" I asked shocked as I started pacing around the kitchen.

"With the absence of your signature over the ownership, they can do whatever they please and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I tried to hold them off but they're fed up, they need someone at the head of the table"

"But I can't do anything, I didn't even graduate. I don't know a single thing about running a company" I snapped and tugged at the root of my hair.

"I will help you through it all but you can't keep running from this Emma...As much as you don't want anything to do with it, we both know that you need it"

"Just give me time to think" I could say he wasn't pleased with my answer but I needed time. I hang up the call. I looked at the time and realized that Vanessa was suppose to be home by now, I searched for her contact in my phone and called her but she didn't answer, i tried again and she still didn't answer. That was very unusual, Vanessa knows to answer me if I call.

Just as I was about to grab my car keys, the door opened and Vanessa walked in. "Hey" she greeted me with a smile. "You scared me for a second, why weren't you answering your phone ?"

"It died" she said and sat at the table.

Through everything that happened today I wasn't able to cook something. And I just realized it as I hurried to cook something for her fast.

"How was school ?" I asked her. As I rummaged through the cabinets to find something easy to make.

"It was fine" she said, I could see through her eyes that it wasn't but I let it pass, I didn't want to pressure her into talking to me, if she felt comfortable to talk, she would, thats how it always worked between us.

I settled on making mac and cheese since it was the easiest and the fastest thing to cook. I separated the dish into two plates and placed one of them in front of Vanessa. As I dug in.