Chapter 12

I woke up on a pull-out couch next to Drake, a smile on my face. I knew nothing had happened last night, considering how I’d remembered if something HAD happened. I looked at Drake, sleeping peacefully, and smiled again thinking that everything’s gonna be alright. Then, a black shadow appeared on my mind. I tossed it around in my head, trying to be living the moment. Drake woke up, and looked up at me. “Hey…” he said as a smile came upon his face. I tried to shake away the black shadow, but that didn’t work either. This bugger was holding on to me tight. I started to feel dizzy, and well… pretty much just as I had in the hospital before I died. Building a brick wall in my head, an incredibly strong and thick brick wall, soon made the shadow disappear though, and everything was okay again. When I opened my eyes, which I hadn’t realized I’d closed, Drakes eyes were creased with worry. 

“What’s the matter?” he asked. I took a deep breath, trying to make sure that the black shadow was completely gone. It was. “Nothing. I’m fine. Let’s just… enjoy this moment together.” I whispered, smiling a little. Drake laughed, a big and hearty laugh, forgetting about his worry for a moment. My throat felt really dry, so I suggested breakfast. 

“Always hungry. That’s you Nicky. That, is, you.” Drake laughed out, his smile lighting up his eyes. I grabbed his hand and pulled him downstairs. When we were at the top of the steps, I heard everyone congratulating Alice and Jake

‘This isn’t going to end well…’ I thought to myself, sighing. Because I knew why they were congratulating the two, but I don’t think Drake knew.

When we walked down the stairs and saw Alice, I hugged her softly. Drake looked stony eyed at her stomach. He obviously knew now. “I hope you know what you’re getting doing.” He muttered, but his eyes softened a bit. He wrapped his arms around Alice, giving her a soft squeeze. Then he jumped back. “Something KICKED me!” he yelled, eyes wide. Alice chuckled, but I held my breath. 

“The baby is part vampire.” She said with a smile. “It’ll be outta my stomach in at least nine days, then it’ll grow as a regular baby grows. Well, until it turns 16. Then it stops getting older, and goes full vamp.” Alice was staring at her stomach lovingly, and I instantly felt jealous for some unknown reason. Drake took a deep breath, but stopped before he exhaled. 

“Wait. How’s the baby only HALF vampire, if you and Jake are both FULL vampire?” he 61asked, confused.

“Well…. All vampires still have their human blood in them somehow, which causes their human blood to join with the vampire blood in the baby. And… the baby has to be half-human to survive. Otherwise, the vampire part of the baby will override the rest. Then, it’ll die. At least I think that’s right…” Alice said, biting her lower lip. 

Drake laughed at that and whispered, “You never were one for studying… or work.” I kissed him softly on the lips, knowing how happy he must be to finally have his sister back. Then, remembering my throat, I pulled him towards breakfast. Everyone laughed at that, knowing now how hungry I can get. Even when I was a human, I ate the most. I just loved food! Soon though, after Drake and I were already seated, everyone sat down too.

“So Jake! How happy are you?! You’re going to be a father!” Alec said with a smile. Jakes eyes were like a child’s, eager and excited. 

“I’m so happy! And what about you Alec? You’re gonna be a grandfather!” Alec smiled again, then closed his eyes as if already imagining the future with Alice’s baby. The food finally came out, and I ate almost everything. Another advantage to being a vampire, I can eat as much as I want without worrying about my weight. Drake cleared his throat, and everyone looked at him, me with blood from my rare steak dribbling down my chin.