“Is this… enough?” he asked. I nodded and look towards the door. 

“May I go? I need to start.” I asked back. Jake smiled sadly again, then nodded back, staring after me as I left the room.

“I got Jakes blood. Did you get Alice’s?” I asked Drake, my smile sad. 

He looked confused and answered back, “Yes. But why so sad? Soon, we’ll be leaving to go back to your time.” When I heard Drake utter the words ‘your time’, my smile was no longer sad. It was one of pure and total ecstasy! 

“It’s a story for another day. Let’s go and finish this! I miss my family.” I said, grabbing all the ingredients and putting them in a bowl. After that, I mixed all the ingredients together and stuck it all outside in the morning sun. 

“Well, I’m going to sleep. I’ll be awake in a couple hours.” I said cheerily, when all that was done, and laid down into my bed. Drake sat down right next to me, stroking my arm into I fell into an almost sleep. Then, he kissed my forehead softly and left the room, shutting the door carefully behind him.

------------- 

When I woke up, the sun was still up, but the clock read 12:01. That was an hour before I fell asleep! I ran outside to check on the potion, then put on new clothes, whistling the whole time. Someone knocked on my door, and then Drake popped in. “I cannot believe you slept for almost a full day! I didn’t know you were that tired!” he exclaimed, obviously feeling as cheerful as I was. My throat was burning a little, so I suggested breakfast. Or, lunch. Drake took my hand as we walked into the kitchen.

Almost exactly an hour later, I was on my balcony with Drake, waiting for the potion to be done. After a few minutes of talking with him, the potion started to sizzle, and it was done. I grabbed the bowl and poured the contents into a large goblet, to bring to Jake so he could drink it.When we got to his room, Jake was standing at the door with Alice, as if they knew it was time. I gave him the goblet, and he looked at it and sighed. “Do I have to drink it all?” he asked, voice cracking slightly. I smiled soothingly then nodded. 

“Unfortunately, yes. That’s the only way to break the bond that you created.” I answered back. Jake closed his eyes, and chugged the goblet, then passed it back to me, completely empty. He started shaking like he was having a seizer, and so did Alice. Drake shot up from the chair he was sitting in, so fast a human would barely see it, but I grabbed him before he could reach Alice. 

“No.” I said sternly. “This is supposed to happen. Don’t ask me how I know though, because… well… I don’t know how I know. I just do. Wait five minutes.” Drake nodded and clutched my arm. Five minutes later, both Alice and Jake had collapsed on the floor. Drake started to go towards Alice, and this time I let him. He reached to touch her forehead, but before that happened, she was up and hugging him. Jake took longer to get up, and when he did his face was slightly green and he almost collapsed again. I grabbed his arm before he could collapse, and sat him on the bed. 

“Did it work?” I heard Drake whisper to Alice. “Is the bond… gone?” I heard Alice whisper back a yes, but I couldn’t hear anymore because I ran out of the room.

“Grace! Will!” I yelled, searching frantically for them. They appeared beside me, worry creasing their faces. 

“What?” they asked, simultaneously. I didn’t even have time to laugh at that! 

“Something’s wrong with Jake! You’ve got to help him!” When I knew they were going to follow me, I ran as fast as I could back to Jakes room. Drake and Alice were already crowded around his bed, and he looked even worse than before! His skin was as white as chalk, his eyes were unfocused, and he was sweating like he had a fever. Alice was holding his hand, her eyes filling with tears. 

“Please don’t leave us… Please.” Alice kept saying, over and over, as if saying it a lot will make it happen. 

She kissed his forehead, then jumped as if something had electrocuted her. She started to shake, and her eyes went from the purplish color to black, and back again. Soon, her eyes were just black. Everyone ran to her as she started to fall, but Drake caught her first. “Breathe… breathe. It- it’s okay.” He said, though he didn’t seem so confident in his words. 

“I- I- I must go! I must!” Alice said, and she broke free from Drakes arms. She tried to run out the door, but stopped in the middle of the hallway and fell to the ground, crying. Her eyes now had a slight purple in them, but were also tinged red from crying. Alec, who had appeared out of nowhere, came up to her and tried to hug her, but she pushed him away repeating the words, “I must go! I must go!” After a minute, her eyes were a full black again, and she got up, though she was a little shaky on her feet. She walked over to a closed door, and slammed it open. She walked toward an already open window, then stopped before it. Alec was right behind her, careful not to get to close. 

“Alice, what is wrong?” he asked, his tone stern and serious. 

“I… must… go.” She answered back. This time, Drake came forward and grabbed her. She pushed him away, and from where I was standing, I could tell she was somehow stronger than she was before. “I must go… now.” She put one leg through the window, then the other, ending on the roof of the house. “I… must.” The roof was two stories up off of the ground, and right below it was a picket fence. A SHARP picket fence. Alice took a couple steps forward, and that’s when I figured out  what she was about to do. 

“Alice no!” I yelled out. But it was too late. Alice spread her arms out and dropped off the roof.