XXII: Watch Your Back

Start from the beginning

Sighing, Mom smiled to herself and finished making her cup of tea, "Good. That girl always knew how to look after herself. She never followed the flock, always a chameleon soul."

"That's Avery," I agreed, taking a mouthful of my breakfast as Mom took the seat opposite me, placing her mug on the coaster and crossing her arms, sitting back with a cocked brow and a smirk.

I looked at her blankly, "What?"

"So, you and Noah Armstrong. What a match..." She sipped her coffee.

I blushed, "Not entirely..."

"Why didn't you tell me? You know... I really wouldn't mind-"

"No! No! God no, it wasn't because of you," I shook my head, "I guess, uh, I just like to keep things to myself. He also isn't out yet... it was as a surprise to me as it is to you, trust me," I laughed.

"Well I'm glad," She took my hand, "Your Dad wouldn't be, but that's why he's not here. You! You've given me nothing but joy and happiness. And I'm just glad that someone's giving that to you now. Just... just be careful, okay? Because love sucks. And a broken heart hurts more than any pain in the world."

"You think he'll break my heart?" I asked, worried.

"Darling, at some point in life, we all get our hearts broken," She squeezed my hand, "But I'm here now. And like I said, it's not going to be like before. You're my little Cub and I'm here to protect you all the way."

In that moment, it was confirmed. It would be okay. If I made it okay.

After a bus ride of battling through the sudden sheet of snow, me and Noah finally clambered off the bus, taking the earphones out cutting off Sheryl Crow 'If It Makes You Happy'. He took my underarm and helped me down, my feet vanishing into the snow.

"Fuck it," I groaned.

Hiding his smirk under his scarf, he helped me step out to my freedom and rubbed my back slowly, "Don't worry, Bud, next week's the last week," He assured me. I wanted school to end already, that was odd for me, but I couldn't deal with the stress nor the stupid snow that was so thick that Donald Trump would be jealous.

"Next week can't come fast enough," I moaned stomping through the snowy track, the light falls of snowflakes stroking my face. I was never a big fan of snow, not since Avery told me to eat the yellow snow and not the white... big mistake.

"Just do it!" A Thirteen year old Avery pointed to the yellow patch. We stood, freezing in the winter snow staring at this patch beneath a large oak by the road. Me, ten and wrapped up tightly, my red chubby face staring up at her shook my head frantically, "Cowdy custard! Cowdy, cowdy custard!"

"Stop it or I'm telling Mom!" I cried, squinting my eyes, rubbing the snowflakes from eyes quickly.

"Do it or I'll tell Mom you were the one who took the dollar from her purse-"

"No! No! No!" I shook my head quickly.

"Do it then! Cowdy Custard!" Avery smirked at me, crossing her arms and looking from the patch and then to me, "Double, double dare you."

Slowly, I climbed toward the patched, scooping up a handful with my small blue gloves and I lifted the ball. Anxious and worried, I took it to my mouth, opening slightly as the smell hit my nose and my eyes screwed shut. Ever since then, I hated the sight of it. Noah laughed and threw a snowball at me, "Lighten up, Salt Boy!"

"Ow!" I hissed, pushing him a little. A smile secretly etched onto my face.

We continued on through the snow until we reached the main building, stomping out the snow from beneath our shoes and unzipping our thick layers. I looked rather alike to an eskimo in my puffy coat with fluffy hood, so I was relieved to take it off and not receive another look of curiosity or interest from another person. Noah, however, said it looked cute but I refused to acknowledge is poor attempt at flattery.