~26~The necklace

A/N: I like the quote below the title! The cover above was made by Makayla Ruggles.

I stood in the nearly-vacant train station, my eyes closed in contempt as a result to the eery silence. Water dripped loudly in the train tunnel, it's sound echoing. 

Happy birthday to me. Officially, (I'd say I was making my own loophole), I was eighteen. And what did that mean? 

Freedom, that's what. 

So they couldn't come after me this time. I wasn't under the control anymore; they  didn't have a reason to follow and haul me back. 

See? Loopholes. 

I was so busy running away when it wasn't the appropriate time to do so; this was my time. I was officially free; eighteen was the age. 

"What are you doing." A voice in a non-question tone came from behind me. 

I exhaled, not answering. 

The voice came closer. "Don't do it."

"It doesn't matter." I finally answered. "None of it does."

A pause. I felt the presence of him behind me. "Why would you think that?"

My eyes were still squeezed shut. "I'm eighteen. I can do what I want..This is what I want."

"I don't believe you." 

My eyes snapped open, and it took all of me to spin around and face him 

He was surprisingly close. His outfit was noted in my frontal vision-black jeans, blue polo shirt, and as usual? The hair..it was sickeningly perfect. 

"And why is that?" I questioned, blinking. 

Blake shifted, looking as if he was peering deep into my soul. I've never gotten a look like that. "You want to be heard..You want to be seen. You were born to be unique, Blaire. But, guess what?"

I hadn't realized I wasn't breathing. My voice was barely above an audible whisper. "What?"

"I see you. I hear you." 

I swallowed hard. 

Blake was still looking into my eyes, his gaze locked. "What happened to you mom-it was terrible and a huge thing for a five-year-old to handle. I know that.

"And I want you to know that I understand you."

"It's not enough." I shook my head, tears threatening. 

"Why?" He softly demanded. "What is holding you back from everything?"

I struggled with the words. I wasn't capable of trust. It just wasn't in me. 

Blake took a step closer, his eyes locked deeply into my own. His hand slowly reached up to the side of my face, his finger trailer my jawbone with a look of pure concentration and intensity. 

His next sentence sent chills through my body. 

"Who are you?"

I blinked, taking a tiny sip of air. "Who do you think I am?"

A small smile tugged at his lips. "A puzzle. A beautiful-"

I blinked, a warmth blossoming in my belly.

"-confusing, stubborn, brilliantly indescribable, puzzle." 

Blake shook his head softly, standing back and separating the space between us.