Chapter 47 Heart of an avenger

Start from the beginning

***

Somewhere close to the border of Iron, Kankuro pulled his cloak tighter around him. He glanced at his younger brother who walked a few paces ahead. Gaara had been quiet ever since Taryn had left. When he had asked, the Kazekage had refused to talk about it.
     Kankuro sighed. They had been travelling for days, the weather  growing colder every mile.
The letter had clearly stated that every Kage was allowed a maximum of two guards. He couldn’t help but think that Taryn should have been here. She was best suited for the job.
Temari walked next to him and gave him a sad smile. “You’re thinking about her too huh?” She sighed. 
   “I know Gaara is worried about her,” Kankuro said.

“Why does she always do things like this?” Temari sighed, “I don’t understand her at all. It really pisses me off.”
“It’s not her fault,” Kankuro said, “she always did things on her own. It was father‘s doing that she became that way. Always sending her on solo missions. Isolating her from us… You might have been too young to remember, but I used to follow her around when our parents weren’t watching. I really looked up to her.”
“I know,” Temari said softly, “me too.” She looked at him hesitantly. “Do you think… things would have been different… if father hadn’t asked her to…?”
Kankuro was silent for a long time. His eyes turned sad. “But he did ask her,” he answered, “he never really knew her. If he had, he would have know she would refuse. He just expected her to obey him. Like he did with everyone else.”

Kankuro peeked around the corner. She hadn’t seen him yet. Carefully he tiptoed after her, curious as to where she was going.
He had followed her around all morning. Three years ago she had been made Jounin. That was quite an achievement at her age. He was proud of her. Proud to be her brother. When he would grow up, he wanted to be just like her. But to accomplish that, he had to know how to fight. He wanted to see how she did that.
“You really need to learn to walk more quiet,” Taryn suddenly said.
Kankuro tensed. How could she have known he was here? She hadn’t even turned around.
He gave up sneaking and walked up to her. “It’s not fair to use your Byakugan,” he muttered.

“I didn’t have to,” she smiled, “you still breathe too loud.”
Kankuro sighed annoyed. Taryn’s eyes grew sad. “Why are you following me, Kankuro? Your uncle won’t like it.”

Kankuro shrugged. “He’s not here now. He’s taking care of Temari.”
“You shouldn’t anger him. Or father.”
“I don’t care,” Kankuro said, “I want you to teach me how to fight.”
Taryn smiled. “Didn’t you start the Academy already?”

“Yeah, but I want you to teach me. You’re my sister.”

Taryn’s expression became a little warmer. “Well, I can’t argue with that now, can I?” She took out two kunai daggers and handed them to him. “Show me what you’ve learned so far.” She pointed at a wooden fence a few feet ahead.

Kankuro took a deep breath and threw the knife. It landed in front of the fence in the ground.
“Try again,” Taryn said, “measure the distance first.”
Kankuro tried again, but this time missed as well. He sighed in defeat. He had wanted to show her his skills, so she’d be proud of him and he had made a fool of himself.
“Don’t give up,” Taryn said and handed him another dagger. “Her, it’s all in the wrist. I’ll show you.” She took a dagger herself. It landed in the center of the fence board. “See?”
Kankuro nodded and raised his arm to try again. The tip of his tongue was between his teeth. His dagger got stuck low in the fence and was dangling from the tip, but at least it was something.
“Perhaps I should get closer to the fence,” he suggested while Taryn retrieved the weapons.
“Nonsense,” she said, “the distance is fine. You just need more practice.” She smiled at him. “So have you figured out your jutsu style yet?” she asked,
Kankuro shook his head. “We haven’t gotten that far yet at the Academy, but I like the puppet art jutsu. I’ve read about it.”
“You like that huh. I can’t tell you much about it, I can’t use that art myself. But if that’s what you want you should study it carefully. There are some great puppeteers in Suna. It is where the art originated.”
“I can’t even throw a kunai dagger,” Kankuro muttered, “you were already Chuunin at my age. I’m not even a Genin yet.”
“Age is not important, Kankuro. When you’ll become a Chuunin, I’m sure you’ll do great. You just have to be patient.” She gave him a dagger. “Wanna try again?”
He smiled and reached for the dagger when a hand grabbed his wrist. Kankuro jumped and looked up to find his father standing there.
“What are you doing?” the Kazekage growled, “why aren’t you with your uncle Yashamaru?”
Kankuro stared at his feet. “He was busy?” he muttered softly.

“Taryn is a Jounin,” his father continued, “She has more important things to do than babysit you.”
            Kankuro didn’t dare point out that his uncle was a Jounin too. “Yes father,” he muttered.
“I do have time for him,” Taryn said, but her father ignored her.
“I have told you a thousand times that I don’t want you to bother her.”
“I was teaching him to throw kunai,” Taryn glared.
“He can learn that at the Academy!” her father barked, “that is what the school is for!”
“He’s my…”
“Inside!” her father snapped at Kankuro.
Kankuro flinched and turned around. With is head cast down he walked back to the mansion.
“And you,” her father turned to her, “you should see to your training, not play around with children.”
“I’ve been training all morning.”
“I don’t care! Stay away from Kankuro. And Temari too. Now report to my office. If you’re bored, I have a mission for you.”