38 - coward || unedited

"Ayon! Javee! I thought you snubbed me!" Justin exclaimed, greeting me with a lopsided smile on his face.

I returned his grin with a friendly nod. Lumapit si Justin to embrace me but before he could take more steps, Racel blocked him and pushed his friend away.

"Back off," biro niya.

Justin only laughed, raised his hands, and stepped aside to give way to us. He opened the door wide enough.

"Possessive asshole. Come inside. They're here na," he said, walking inside their house.

Humigpit ang kapit ko sa braso ni Racel. Anxiety suddenly nagged at the back of my head. I didn't know about this. Kanina ko pa talaga gustong mag-back out. It was Justin's birthday. We'd be celebrating at his place and I was sure as hell that everyone invited today were from Centrex. News could spread 'pag makita nila ako or worse, if mahalata nila na may kakaiba sa 'min ni Racel.

The only reason lang naman why I even agreed to come was because I thought Ahron would go, too. But my babe had an emergency at the last minute. Kaya heto, ang ending tuloy, si Racel ang kasabay kong magpunta. I wanted to tell him na ayoko nang tumuloy but the happy smile on his face made me double think.

Now I was having cold feet.

Racel made a move to enter. I pulled him back, making him turn to me.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his forehead creasing.

"What if I'll just give my gift and go?" I played with my fingers.

His brows arched in confusion. "Why? Ayaw mo nang pumasok?"

"Not that . . . Puro Centrex students kasi ang nasa loob," I said slowly, hoping he'd get the meaning.

Which he easily did because understanding crossed his eyes. Justin came back in that second.

"Hey, what's taking you so long?"

Racel darted to him. "Who's inside?"

Justin tilted his head to the right. "Just few close friends. Sina Christelle, Marco. You know, the team? Oh, and si Vianne. I didn't invite much." He sounded confused.

Tumingin ulit sa 'kin si Racel na parang hinihintay ang desisyon ko. He asked that question for me, wanting me to weigh if I could trust these people—his people.

Justin seemed to have understood dahil bigla siyang tumawa at hinatak ako papasok.

"Don't worry. Everyone here knows about you two already. They won't tell." Justin winked. "Secret's safe with us."

Napahinto ako sa sinabi niyang 'yon out of shock and embarrassment. He was speaking as if Racel and I were in a hidden relationship.

But then again, it's kind of like that naman, 'di ba?

"Where's your friend pala?" He asked over the music when we went inside the house. He leaned in so I could hear him.

"Not going. Emergency."

Justin shook his head and chuckled. "Elusive as fuck. Well, at least you're here. I'll be sad but at least my buddy will enjoy the night," sabi niya, sabay tapik sa balikat ni Racel na umiiling-iling sa kanya habang nangingiti.

All eyes darted to us as soon as we arrived in the living room. The party was in full swing. The music from the sound system was blaring so loud it pounded in my head. May mga drinks na rin na nasa counter at puno ng pagkain ang mga tables sa gilid. Their big living room was probably rearranged to accommodate tonight's party. Mga pamilyar na mukha ang nakikita ko doon. A few girls, plus the Centrex team. Totoo ngang konti lang ang inimbita ni Justin para sa birthday niya.