The Mission

Warning: This might be a little worse in terms of imagery. You've been warned.

::

Deidara peered through the glass of one of the shops on the street. A box of special explosive clay sat in his grip, just as Onoki had asked him to. He was supposed to drop this off at the office to have it inspected, but...

That tanto looked really cool. Severely cool, actually. But he didn't think it was quite his style. Deidara was one who loved bright colors and explosions, and swords didn't fit that criteria. He sighed. He was destined to be in the Kugutsu Butai like his sensei told him a million times before.

"Oh? Interested in kenjutsu?"

Beside him was a rather short man with red hair tied at the nape of his neck and brown eyes that shone curiously. Deidara wasn't quite sure who he was, but he'd seen him around with Onoki every now and then. Maybe he was an associate from another village who never wore his hitai-ate or any discerning piece of clothing to show his allegiances.

"Not really, un. Not my thing."

"Can't say that when you haven't tried, can you?" the stranger hummed. "I would learn how to use a sword if I were still in my younger years."

Deidara pushed on with the conversation despite himself. "What's stopping you from doing it now, hm?" he asked. The stranger suddenly sagged forward as long, drawn out sigh escaped his lips. The boy jerked to the side at the abrupt movement.

"I'm busy. Tired. A little lazy—"

"Old, un?"

An irked glare.

"Brat."

Deidara grinned. He didn't know what it was about this man that left him at ease, but he felt safe. He was sure the stranger was a shinobi even with his lax attitude and lack of concern with his surroundings. Who was he, anyways? he was about to open his mouth and ask when he saw a small bug crawl onto the top of that mussed hair.

"Uh." The boy pointed to his own head. The stranger narrowed his eyes as he reached up with an open hand. With one touch, he sagged even further.

"Please tell me you have good news, Yori..." he mumbled. Deidara watched as the man took the bug—no, scorpion—and extract a small note from its pincers. A summon. A few seconds later that laid back stance straightened and his kind eyes sharpened. "... Dammit." He spun on his heel. "Be a good kid, Deidara. Onoki-sama expects those explosives to be put to good use."

And then he was gone.

::

"Morino Ibiki?"

"That's what tou-san said. Troublesome."

"Then we'll find out what happened to Sakura-chan, dattebayo!"

"We have to be careful, okay?"

Sasuke, Shikamaru, Naruto, and Chouji gathered an hour before classes started. It was an uneventful Thursday morning, the sun already over the horizon at seven am, and the teachers had yet to make their appearance at the Academy. The four of them made a plan to head out, find her immediately, and cut class for the day. Until Chouji voiced against it.

"But Sakura would want us to go to class. She'd be mad if we didn't."

...

So they'd go before or after school to keep up with their studies. They set off into the village after coming to a consensus of going back to the T&I building to figure out what happened to their friend. Naruto headed the group, complete determination blazing in his eyes. He was worried about her. They all were. Her unforeseen disappearance wasn't natural—especially since she always stressed attendance and punctuality.