Chapter Seven

Chapter 7- The Dinner

On My way home from the meeting, I couldn’t believe I told Elijah that I love him.  I felt  my heart pounding as I pulled onto the road leading up to the house.  Once I started getting closer, I noticed my aunt’s car was not in the drive way, thank gosh. I could not face her after what happen today. I pulled up, got out of the car, and went up to the door, key in hand.  After unlocking it, I walked upstairs to my room and threw my stuff on the bed.  Not knowing what else to do, I pulled out my cell phone.

 I decided to call Melina.  

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Can you come over?” I was hopeful.  

“Sure, is everything alright?”

 “Yeah, I just need to talk to you in person,”

 “Okay, I’ll be over there soon.” Her friend could always be counted on to be dependable.

After I got off the phone with Melina, I didn’t know what to do.  All these thoughts that kept crashing around in my head made waiting agony.  At last, the ding of the doorbell resonated up the stairs.   I ran down the stairs and yanked the door open, grabbing Melina’s arm and pulling her in. 

“Geez, something must have happened today,” Melina rubbed her arm.

“Yes, something did happen; let’s go to my room,”

I lead her quickly up the stairs. When we reached  my room, I shut the door and locked it, just in case.  Melina was already on my bed waiting for me to spill what happen today. I stepped over to the bed and sat down beside her.

She looked at me “How did the meeting go today?”   

I looked up.

“That’s what I need to talk to you about,”

“Okay, shoot; tell me.  How was it?”  

I at last let it all out to my friend, relieved it wasn’t Elijah. She just sat there on my bed and looked at me for a moment.

“Well, say something please,”  

She gave me a broad smile and for a moment she looked like the cat that swallowed the canary.

“I’m happy for you Kate. I am so glad you finally admit you love Elijah.  If you still want to be mad at your aunt because of what she did, then be mad.” She paused a moment before finishing. “I’m glad you got to explain how you are feeling about all this.  I know I still don’t understand what you’re going through but I am glad you got to express your feelings,”

“Thanks, I don’t know if am ready to tell my Aunt all that has transpired today in the meeting. I know she will ask,”

“Well, do you really want to tell your aunt about it?”

“No, I really don’t.  I don’t want to hear it from her,”

“Then don’t tell.  If she asks, just tell her you don’t want to talk about it,”

I nodded my head, more than a little worried.  

“You’re right Melina,”

I got up from my bed and walked over to unlock the door. At the sound of the lock tumbling inside its metal casing I turn back to Melina.

 “Do you want to stay for dinner?” 

“Sure. That sounds great.”

 As we were coming down the stairs, my aunt walked in the front door.