The Leave

As I laid in my hay bed, I got awoken my an... unpleasant surprise. It was Bird, coming with news. He told me that he overheard The Skins talking about something... They were talking about demolishing The Works — our home. Why would they do this? The Skins are heartless. Do they not know that this is our home... Our only home. Where will I go after? Where will we go. I do not want to leave, yet, somehow, I do not feel... anything. I don't feel sad, I don't feel mad, I don't feel anything. Though, I have never felt any emotion. I do not understand why a Skin cries when they are hurt. I do not understand the purpose of laughter. I do not understand emotion... I have never had any emotion. If a bird's nest falls from the tree, the bird should not cry. The bird should, instead of crying, rebuild the nest. This time is different... This time I can understand why the other animals in The Works are crying. I know that they are sad. I know that they do not want to leave. I know that I do not want to leave...

I decided to stand my ground against The Skins. I did not want to leave. Nobody wanted to leave. I went to sleep, knowing that The Skins will come at sunrise. I will not let them take my home... My only home.

Once the sun had just peaked over the hills, I had already been awake for several hours, ready for the intrusion of The Skins. But, they did not come. I ended up falling asleep, but I had a rude awakening by footsteps coming from outside of the barn. I peaked up my nose, smelling the air carefully. I had never smelled this smell before — I knew it was them. I carefully inched my way to them. I peaked over the corner of the door. I saw two tall Skins. 

Bird was right — they are big... At least, much bigger them me, and anybody else in The Works.

I sniffed the air more. I could smell something else. Someone else. These two men weren't the only ones here. I could hear more footsteps heading towards me. I peaked around the corner only to see a woman talking to the two men. I overheard them talking about demolishing the barn in a week. At that point, I realized that there was nothing I could do. 

Everybody in The Works has learned to understand the language of The Skins. But The Skins do not know our language, from what I heard — this is the first time I have seen a Skin in a long time - I barely remembered anything about them, after all. I have only heard stories since the last time I saw a skin, which was long, long ago.

I knew that I could not stop The Skins from demolishing The Works. I broke the news to everybody. They were devastated. Two dogs, known as Lab and Beag, stepped up and said that they knew a place that will keep everybody safe until further notice. They took us there. It was in the forest. The reason we couldn't stay there long is because the forest is dangerous, and not a good home.

After hours of discussion, we all decided to go our separate ways. Lab was the first one to leave. Beag came a little after her. Soon, the campsite was empty, except for me. I had no relatives, no friends to go to. I didn't know where to go or what to think. I couldn't stay in the forest though, so I decided to leave, and attempt to find a new home... A new life.