Chapter 21: Suffer

En başından başla

"Alright, we'll switch it to that. Your next training goal is to be able to overcome that virus on command. So to do that, we need to 'activate' it." He says and shoves me inside the simulator with him.

"No, Smith! I won't do that scene! Stop this!" I yell when I start to see the scenery change.

"Alright! Alright!" He hits the button on his suit, something only his and a few choice men's suits have, and things begin to go back to normal.

"A**." I growl and shove the gun in his arms, leaving. He doesn't realize how bad this virus is. I said no! That means no! I guess I'm just in a bad mood or something but that kind of pissed me off.

Deciding to go see Talon like I promised, I head for his dorm room.

Just as I'm about twenty feet from the elevator to take me up to the dorms, a loud alarm blares and I cover my ears. Red lights flash and Soldiers grab weapons from the emergency slots in the walls. Before I can even stop someone to question what's going on, gunfire rings and I watch an entire group of people fall to the ground. I watch in shock as civilians scream and run for their lives; we're being overrun.

I turn around and haul myself towards the stairs, deciding it would be too much of a risk to run the rest of the way to the elevator, bolting up three flights in record time.

Just as I'm one flight from the right floor, Smith rounds the corner. How did he get up here so quickly? Whatever, it doesn't matter right now.

"Smith, what going o-" I let out a short yelp when he hits me in the nose and I fall backwards. With pure instinct I kick him in the knee and he buckles forward enough for me to grab him by the head and pull him to the ground with me.

"What the hell, Smith?!" I yell as I jump up, kicking his searching hand away, and run up the stairs. From what I saw, he has no guns.

Six steps up and he grabs me by the shoulders. We go tumbling back down the stairs and he ends up on top. He wraps his hands around my throat and tightens them. My nails dig into his hands and I try to think quickly. I hit him in his face, but in my position it's not hard enough. I get an idea and decide to use it since I have no other option. I grab him in his crotch and twist as hard as I can.

"Ah!" He shouts and his hands loosen. I reach up and shove them off and turn us over. I get up halfway and grab him by the collar of his suit, pulling him up. Since he's still holding himself, I slam his head into the door frame.

Once he's unconscious, I take off running again.

When I get to the right floor, I swing the door open and run into the hallway.

"Oh God.." I gasp and begin to hyperventilate when I see that the white walls are painted with blood and the floor is scattered with the bodies of civilian residents, but one unconscious body in particular stood out.

"Ashton, hey!" I fall on my knees next to him, lightly slapping his face.

"Ashton, please! Come on, don't do this to me!" I growl and shake his lifeless shoulders. "Ashton!" I scream, praying for an answer.

"Brittany! The commander has fallen!" A Soldier yells from down the hallway.

"He's gone, Britt." Talon, who came out of nowhere, lays a hand on my shoulder and try's to pull me up. I focus in on the gunfire and the mass explosions outside of the dorm halls. I listen to the shouts and commands of Sargent's. I feel the hurt from the fall of my brother and my mother. My body and the walls vibrate when another explosion sounds from beneath.

For once in my life, I summon the monster in me. I surrender as I feel my veins pulse and my vision tint colors.

I swing my body around roughly and slap his hand off of me. He backs up and I put my head down. I lay my hand on Ashton's chest; the absence of a heart beat breaks the last dam inside of me.