Chapter 18: Purchased and Sold

Start from the beginning

As much as she hated getting traded off like a sack of gold coins, she wouldn't have mind if it was Spain since she knew the guy. But America, who is he? She heard of his name before, but she hadn't met with him personally. Given away to a complete stranger, nuh-uh! There's no way France would do this to her without her consent. This deal, what a bunch of horseshit! France wouldn't! He would never do such a thing!

However...

"It's already...too late..." France mumbled in a regretful, low voice.

Louise's jaw dropped to the tiled floor as was the butcher knife she had in her hand. Louise stood in boiling silence to the news. "What? You sold me already..."

Without warning, she grabbed a metal spatula off the counter and threw the large spoon at France's head. He didn't bother to avoid it. He took the hit directly to the forehead, still standing. Deep down, he knew he deserved to be treated like shit. No matter things she throws at him, nothing is going to change. All Louise could do was shake her head in denial while France could only watch her heart tear slowly in two.

Was she upset? Absolutely. Sold and brought again, that was her life. She was used to it. What made this trade especially infuriating was the fact France, a man she respected and trusted in all her life, lied to her. She couldn't believe it. She couldn't...

Her dark blue eyes fell to the butcher knife on the ground. She thought about it. The dark thought about it sounded like a sweet idea. Knowing the dainty Frenchman, it was possible. As frustrated as she was, her eyes turned away from the large knife, drifting over to France's leather boots.

Her memories of him were too good for her to do such a thing. While Spain acknowledged her love for spice and dance, France taught her the beauty of cooking and song. Because of France, she was able to speak the beautiful, French language. He would always bring her the prettiest dresses from his home, even if they were not suited to the humid climate. Never once did he let a man or a woman talk negatively about her. He would always reassure how beautiful she was, even with dark skin and curly hair. He can be weird at times. Nevertheless, she always loved him.

She admired him, respected him, cared for him, she was excited to come back to him after her time with Spain. He promised she'll never be given away. He promised he'll always be with her. And yet, not long after promising her this, he immediately sold her once again. To a stranger no less. Played like the fool she was. Once again, her trust was broken, her heat was broken. She'll be forced to see another treaty confirm her purchase. Again.

Did he even love her? To Louise, she didn't think so. If he did love her, she wouldn't be on the verge of tears.

"... Why?" her voice trembled. Her fingers curled into fists, eager to punch France's beautiful face, yet a part of her wanted to run away.

Having dedicated a part of his life into raising the young lady, he knew no amount of apologies was going to make him a better man. If anything, a terrible man.

"Louise... If I could, I would've cancelled the deal. I would take you into my house and make my boss change his mind. I would if I had that kind of power," he uttered in regret.

Where did it all go wrong? Louise was suppose to be a part of his plan to rebuild his empire in the New World. But then Haiti had to ruin everything. Then again, he couldn't blame their wrath. Still, how could he lose the Caribbean island so easily? In the end, his hopes to expand in his influence in the Western Hemisphere were crushed. To add to his problems, his large debt needed to be settled. Having lost Haiti's sugar plantations, he needed to find some way to pay off his debt.

He trusted his boss would find a solution to the debt he had gathered from his chaotic revolution. He couldn't imagine conquering Europe. Not that he had a problem screwing the other countries. However, most of the European countries hate his guts now. Knowing Spain, he knew Louise is going to be vulnerable if he wasn't careful. But seeing as he's going to spend a lot of money in the war effort, he was afraid of being unable to keep Louisiana. It was a tough decision. His boss told him many times it was the best thing to do.

In the end, he was forced out of his promise. He could only hope the country he plans on giving her to does a much better job in taking care of her.

"America is not a bad man," France tried to assure the young lady of her future. "He's young like you. I saw him for myself and he's truly a good man. Slightly annoying, but he's an honest man."

'Are you lying to me?' Louise thought coldly. 'Is this your way of making yourself feel better?'

"Je te déteste (I hate you)," she said in a wavering voice. Tears poked out of her blue-purple eyes as she did her best to wipe them away as to not draw pity.

Seeing the strong lady in pain, France truly felt bad for being the cause of her suffering. He wished to take away her pain, reassure her everything will turn out fine in the end. However, she'll probably not believe him. Maybe, this is what he deserves for making false promises, for crushing a poor girl's hopes. If there's anything he could do, he had one last thing to offer her before he leave: love.

Hesitant at first, France slowly approached Louise, embracing her one last time. "Je suis vraiment désolé (I'm truly sorry). Peu importe combien tu me déteste, je t'aimerai toujours (No matter how much you hate me, I'll always love you)," he whispered.

Bitterly, she wanted to push him away. She wanted to spit in his face. Kick him. Beat him. Curse him. But she couldn't. Knowing France, he was willing to suffer her blows for betraying her love. His embrace was enough to settle a bit of the fury of the harsh truth. However, it wouldn't be enough for her to forgive him.

"You're the worst, France." Louise made a soft whimper into his chest.

"I know," he acknowledged.

Soon, it was time for him to leave. France left the plantation home where Louise lived, heading back to the carriage that awaited for his departure. He took his suitcase, saying one last goodbye to the little girl he raised, before leaving. He would go to the docks of New Orleans and depart on his ship back home. In given time, she'll find it in her heart to forgive France. Until then, Louise was sold once more, purchased one last time.

☆☆☆☆☆

+ Louisiana was first colonized by French colonizers as New France. There was a temporary period where Louisiana was secretly transferred to Spain prior to France's defeat to Great Britain in the Seven Years' War (France didn't want to cede the territory to Great Britain). Eventually, France was able to get Louisiana back from Spain in 1800. France planned to use Louisiana as a part of his plans to re-establish his empire in the Western Hemisphere. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned.

- For one, Haiti, a French colony in the Caribbean, revolted and was successful on achieving independence from France. Second, France wanted to have Florida, however, Spain refused to let him have the territory which pissed him off big time. And lastly, France was hoping to make peace with Great Britain in the hopes his rival wouldn't conquer Louisiana. Unfortunately, war was inevitable. His plans to strengthen his control in the Western Hemisphere were over. Between Great Britain, Spain, and the United States, France was more inclined to sell Louisiana to America just so Louisiana didn't fall in the hands of his European rivals.

+ There's a whole lot more regarding the Louisiana Purchase I haven't mentioned in this story. I hope to continue writing about this topic in another story to come. Until then, just know Louisiana is back to being on good terms with France in the modern era.

~

Feel free to vote or comment any thoughts on Louisiana or the chapter here.