Chapter 8: Rebellious South

Start from the beginning

The only reason she came to the States Annual Meeting was to make a statement. She wanted them to know her outrage. She wanted them to know she wasn't going to put with their tyranny. She wanted them to know their diabolical plans won't stop her. She was also there to convince her Southern brothers and sisters to turn their backs on the Northern assholes. After seeing their suppressed faces at the meeting, however, she realized she needed to snap them out from their brainwashed trance before they could side with her.

How was she going to convince them to side with her? True to her word, she was going to secede from the Union.

"Leave?!" Carolyn was appalled to hear her sister confess her intentions. "But sis! That's insane! There's no way they let you!" She tried to reason with her, but her stubborn twin was too wrapped up in her final decision.

"Secession!" Caroline declared. "I warned them many times how I would one day leave them! Now is the time! And this time I'm not bluffing! Not anymore!" Her green eyes brightened with determination, ready to ignite world in flames.

Carolyn shook her head in disbelief. "It's not going to work."

"It's going to work!" Caroline punched another hole in the wall. "I already have my people on board with this idea. Plus, the concept of secession isn't new. It's not even in the Constitution. Therefore, I have the right to leave at my disposal," she huffed an arrogant smirk that bordered between insanity and jeopardy.

Carolyn crossed her arms. "Just because it's not in the Constitution doesn't mean it's okay for you to ditch us. Think about what you're doing!"

"I am thinking."

"No, you aren't! I'm telling you! What you're doing is beyond reckless! It's just plain out stupid!" Her expression became serious. "As much as I hate the North, the Union mustn't break. Even if you or anyone else were to leave, everyone else wouldn't want the Union to fall apart."

"I know that!" Caroline snarled. "But what good will the Union be with that guy in power! Us Southern states will be treated like chained mutts! They don't even care what we think! They're selfish tyrants who think they can push us around like brainless servants! And I'm tired of that!"

Caroline couldn't understand why her Southern friends were willing to let those Northern scumbags trample on their pride. They thought what happened in that election was democracy at is work. But in no way was it democracy when the North used dirty tactics and treacherous lies against them. And yet, why was she the only one to see that? Why didn't her friends speak up for her when she got kicked out from the meeting? Were they always that weak and cowardly?

Of course not! Those business barons prevented them from speaking their mind! Those Northern tyrants were brainwashing them just like the rest of the people. No wonder Carolyn didn't believe in her! She was too stupid to think for herself! Not surprising considering she was the younger sister! I mean, what was she expecting from her?

"You have no spine, North," she hissed. "Neither you nor the Southern states have the balls to defy those bastards! It's almost like you wanted them to rule the government!"

"You're wrong!" Carolyn spat. "You're not the only one who hates the outcome, but at least we have a brain! Leaving like an upset child is going to change nothing."

"Like staying silent is going to change anything!" Caroline fought back. "It's time we take a stand for what we want and not be told like naughty children! We're going to defend ourselves! We're going to fight for our livelihoods until they recognize our sovereignty."

Carolyn cocked her head. "We?"

Caroline cackled. "I'm not talking about you, tomboy! I'm talking about those who want to join me."

She could name a few off the top of her head, but she had yet to confirm their willingness to leave. Even if they disagreed with her actions, it was only a matter of time.

Carolyn scoffed at her dumb plan. "Join you? Ha! Like they'll follow your stupid example."

A sly smirk grew on Caroline's face. "Once I leave, they'll soon follow my lead. Believe me! They're just scared of the Union when in reality the Union is nothing without us!" She began to walk away from her sister.

"Where do you think you're going?"

Caroline looked over her shoulder to see her sister giving her a cold glare. "Home!" she hollered with a devilish smile. "I'll be leaving before the year is over!"

Carolyn couldn't believe her eyes. "You're making a huge mistake!"

"The only mistake is you not joining me!" Caroline yelled. "You'll see that I'm right and you're wrong!"

Carolyn made a step forward at her claim, but that was as far as she was willing to go. Caroline was a lost cause, she thought. If Carolyn followed her sibling's footsteps, not only was she lowering herself to her level, but she would also be betraying the Union. It wasn't worth going after her. Yet... A part of her wanted to go after her.

Her hands tightened into fists. "Damn it!" she cursed and punched at the nearby wall.

Caroline didn't hear her sister's curse by the time she reached the doors that took her outside the building. "Believe me. This isn't over. This is only the beginning," she muttered to herself as she pried open the doors.

Carolyn helplessly watched her sister leave the building. As much as she hated what Caroline was doing, she couldn't help but think half the things she said weren't wrong. She did feel oppressed. She did feel unhappy. But the Union was always together, no matter what... Yet, she didn't think the Union was the same family she and her friends had built.

Somewhere, sometime, the Union had changed. The tension between North and South was reaching its peak, and there was no going back. It was hard to admit there was a problem. But with the problem growing out of proportion, it wouldn't be long after South Carolina's secession would tensions turn into conflict.

☆☆☆☆☆

+ For South Carolina as a character, she's one of the characters I like to write about despite being the kind of person I hate. Some may not like her, and I don't blame them for feeling that way. It also doesn't help she's depicted as some sort of villain in this chapter. When alongside the rest of my Southern OCs, I like her for bringing a fresh of air among the more polite states, bringing some kind of dynamic reaction in my stories. Hopefully I didn't many South Carolinians with my interpretation of this rebellious state.

+ There are many reasons why most of the Southern states secede from the Union. South Carolina's attitude pretty much sums up the initial reactions toward Lincoln's election. Of course, I'll be covering the various Southern states' attitudes during the Civil War Era. When I do, I hope everyone understands the states then are different from who they are in the present era.

~

Feel free to vote or comment any thoughts on South Carolina or the chapter here.